NEED HELP! Clogged sewer line.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sportsfan33

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am trying to fix a problem myself, because I just can’t afford to hire a plumber right now. I am on a sewer system and I have a clog. I went downstairs the other night to find the floor drain in my washer room had spewed sewage all over the floor. I have checked and the only things causing the back flow is one upstairs toilet, and the washer and sink that is in the same room as the drain.

I called the city and they checked to make sure the lines were clear up to the house. I then bought some Instant power main line cleaner. It helped just barely, so I bought another and it helped a little more, but not much. I still have overflow if I use the toilet or washer. Now, when I use the washer I can plunge the drain and it will help the water go down, but it does not unclog.

Can anyone help me with this? It would be greatly appreciated!!

Your main drain is clogged you need to snake from the cleanout by the foundation wall, then after that is vlearedrun a hose down the floor drain, to flush that branch and the main

Thank you so much for your response. I am definitely not versed on this. Is the clean out a white pipe sticking out of the ground? If so, I don’t have one of those next to the house.

You won’t fix this one most likely without power drain equipment.

If you’re not experienced with an electric drain machine then I’m going to suggest hiring someone.

Or you can go buy or rent some equipment and try it yourself.

The plumber might clean from the roof, the yard or take the toilet up and try to run A cable from there. Might be a combination of the above....

Always comes at the worst times, eh?

There is not gonna be an answer your gonna like. Aside from having a professional drain cleaner do it correctly. Avoid the large, chain companies.

A blow bag after drains and before the sewer might open it some but only temperately. (pictures and how2s; https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=blowbag+plumbing )

This will not fix the problem. Might not even work. The answer is snaking out the line.

Best of luck and wish I had more encouraging thoughts.

Ugh, I was afraid you all would say that I couldn’t fix it. I took this pic of a white pipe beside the drain that is clogged. Is that something I could open or no?

Attachments

• F5E562A0-DD97-48BE-8E9F-9B2DCD0305A8.jpeg
    F5E562A0-DD97-48BE-8E9F-9B2DCD0305A8.jpeg
    889.7 KB · Views: 13
Yeah unscrew the plug on top of that pipe. Then you need to snake it. Rent a machine from a local hardware store. Have fun.

If that is your lowest point drain, hopefully it is a clog in the drain instead of a problem with your septic system.

Arctic bill, I never would think that is fun and didn’t complain about how much you charge. I just don’t have it right now to pay. If I did I would hire. Perplexed we are on sewer not septic. So do y’all think that pipe in that pic is the way to go?

Cable machines are dangerous. There is a picture of a finger taken off on reddit. The next picture is of the hand with the bone sticking out. I don't think it correct to post but if interested, it's title is;

Got a piece of my pinky finger ripped off by an electric drain cleaning machine while unclogging my toilet drain.

Just be careful!

Cable machines are dangerous. There is a picture of a finger taken off on reddit. The next picture is of the hand with the bone sticking out. I don't think it correct to post but if interested, it's title is;

Got a piece of my pinky finger ripped off by an electric drain cleaning machine while unclogging my toilet drain.

Just be careful!

I’ve broken a finger and I had a helper that had one almost cut all the way off, hanging by skin.

I rushed him to hospital and they sewed it back on, full recovery. I almost threw up when he showed it to me.

that's going to be messy by the looks of it

It can get pretty bad.

I’ve set up a camping tent in a lady’s glamor bath before.

Designer cloth walls and marble floors so I totally be enclosed me and the equipment.

best advertising you can buy is respecting a person home, disrespecting the home is the best way to get a lot of horrible advertising. People talk......good news travels fast, bad news travels faster.

Thank for the feedback so far guys. Hope this is not a dumb question, but so you don’t think I could get a snake from Walmart? You think I would need one to rent?

A drum machine capible of cleaning a sewer is over $3,000. The little ones you can get at walmart or harbor fright are for sinks/small lines. Your gonna get in more trouble breaking the cable off in a 4 inch plus line. When it gets stuck, you may break it off or just lodged and then your digging up the line. And even with a too small a machine, your looking at more than I charge for a main line. Machines at walmart that even comes close is over $700.

I'd advise against even renting one large enough to do the job. They are abused, acid soaked cables.

I don't know where you live but here in CT, a mainline by drain companies are 200 to 400 $

If you do this and I advise against it. No matter what machine you use, nibble at the clog. Let the cable do the work. Do not force it! Just gently back and forth. Bring the cable all the way back often and look at the cutter. Start with the smallest blade first. Do not go to far or much past the clog once you hit it. The cable can tie it self in a knot in the city sewer. After you get threw the clog. Go over it, back and forth a few times. Then test with lots of toilet paper by flushing it down after closing up the line with cap.

Again, I would use a blowbag. Might get lucky but will buy you time. If it's roots, can get root poison.

Best of luck. Just please be careful. Ya might get lucky. Just saying there are some significant risks.

I’ve broken a finger and I had a helper that had one almost cut all the way off, hanging by skin.

I rushed him to hospital and they sewed it back on, full recovery. I almost threw up when he showed it to me.
Man! 2!

Think I told ya this but I once spent a very long and embarrising while with both hands tied in a loop of cable from my machine in a very nice lady's cellar.

(LoL, seperate thing. Crushed/ cut my own rt pointer finger off. Slipped it back on. Paper towel, duct tape. Went back to work.)

SportsFan, this is worst case, for sure. But colectivly, around 40/60 years of experience in the above.

Wish I could tell you just watch some youstoge videos. But I cringe watching those.

Was thinking. Perhaps talk to a local church/temple/synagogue and try to trade labor with a plumber for help? Really thinking the thoughts you have about work arounds are gonna cost more than having a drain cleaner or plumber just do the job.

Did you try the blowbag?

Latest posts

Back