Need advice slime in toilet tank & build up on sinks.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alxbz1

Reaction score
Hello! Just some background I live In a Tiny House which is setup like an RV with a RV hose, on someones property/ well water. I have avoided showering/bathing because of the water and taste ( when brushing my teeth), Originally I thought it was hard water but after getting quotes for possible filtration systems 2 companies confirmed that the water is not hard and the property owner says it is softened & the taste is likely from the softening.

I have been dealing with this clear-ish slime build up inside the toilet tank which one of the companies that came to look thinks it might be some sort of bacteria, there is also build up on the sinks/ tubs and everything gets blocked after a while. I avoid using water other than for washing my hands/ toilet and want to fix the problem, when I shower I feel dry and my scalp feels a bit itchy the water in the tub appears murky and if it's on hot water there is a smell. My neighbor who also lives in a tiny house tested there water with strips and mentioned the alkalinity was high.

The company recommended a sediment filter and a reverse osmosis filter if I wanted drinking water.

If the alkalinity is high and there is a lot of sediment would those be causing any of the above issues? Should I get a water test done for more accurate info? I don't know how long I will be on this property so I'm hesitant to spend money on testing the water. The company also mentioned that if there is build up in the toilet tank there could be the same build up in the water heaters which could be causing the smell and then could possibly also be causing the unpleasant showers? When I wash dishes it also leaves spots when they dry. I just wanna figure it out!

Will attach pictures thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_6086.jpg
    IMG_6086.jpg
    855.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6088.jpg
    IMG_6088.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6089.jpg
    IMG_6089.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6090.jpg
    IMG_6090.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6091.jpg
    IMG_6091.jpg
    909.6 KB · Views: 8
"If you don't test, you guess". Yes, it is likely bacteria. If you are reluctant to spend money on testing, then you certainly would not spend money on water treatment. Your scenario sounds unusually severe, based on my experience, but the ecosystem in your area may be quite different.
I use the services of our Vermont State Health Department Laboratory for bacterial and chemical testing of potable water. There are also private labs that do water testing (a pool company does very limited testing focused on pools). Water treatment companies often do some free testing. Here, a full inorganic screening costs just over $100. Individual tests can be ordered, costing from about $15 and up for each.
Have you discussed this with the land owner? They must be experiencing the same thing and would want to treat the water. If you are using an RV potable water hose hooked up to a sillcock, those valves are usually plumbed before any water treatment system inside the house (you don't need to treat water for watering the lawn or washing the car), so if their water is treated, you need to find another way to connect to their system.

You can probably get your water tested by a pool company, we’re do you get your water from, what does it smell like......sulfur???????

It's well water I plug in through an RV hose off a spigot. I can't say exactly what it smells like kinda like sulfur though I'm not familiar with the smell.. The company that installs reverse osmosis drinking water filters and sediment filters was a bit stumped by the growth in the toilet tank but said it was most likely bacteria. He tested the hardness and it wasn't hard, neighbors tested the water and said it was high in alkalinity but the inspector/estimator said high alkalinity wouldn't be a problem. I will look into pool companies thanks!

"If you don't test, you guess". Yes, it is likely bacteria. If you are reluctant to spend money on testing, then you certainly would not spend money on water treatment. Your scenario sounds unusually severe, based on my experience, but the ecosystem in your area may be quite different.
I use the services of our Vermont State Health Department Laboratory for bacterial and chemical testing of potable water. There are also private labs that do water testing (a pool company does very limited testing focused on pools). Water treatment companies often do some free testing. Here, a full inorganic screening costs just over $100. Individual tests can be ordered, costing from about $15 and up for each.
Have you discussed this with the land owner? They must be experiencing the same thing and would want to treat the water. If you are using an RV potable water hose hooked up to a sillcock, those valves are usually plumbed before any water treatment system inside the house (you don't need to treat water for watering the lawn or washing the car), so if their water is treated, you need to find another way to connect to their system.

I wouldn't mind investing in a water treatment system that I could attach to my house and take with me, my reason for being hesitant on spending on water testing is that my time on this property is not set in stone so if I were to move it'd feel like I spent 200$ which is about what the tests I've seen go for. But you're right If I don't test it would be a guessing game which could end up more costly. Just trying to gather some options/opinions before going that route. I will talk to my land owner and see if she has any insight or has possibly used some treatment for her house, and then call a water testing company and see what test they would recommend.

Thanks for the advice!

Back