Need advice on how to remove a difficult older tub spout

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vecdid

Reaction score
Hi there, this is my first time posting here , hopefully you can help me with my issue. I am trying to remove an old tub spout. I have watched many videos and they talk of the different versions, well this one looks to be a possible pin version, but the pin is becoming very hard to remove. I cannot get tools in the space and I do not want to damag any of the joints in the wall being too rough on the pipe. There is a notch at the bottom of the spout. i can see the pipe and like a knob. this I assume is the pin. It seems like it cannot be removed by flat had or philips head and none of even the smallest sockets seem to fit it. I was tying needle nose pliers, but I have a hard time getting it in there right and I don't want to strip a possible grip. I just do not get how this can be so hard when I see all the others out there and how simple to find the way to remove them. Whatever company designed this, really didn't think what if it needs to be removed, let alone, I cannot even imagine how it was installed. I will try to attach a pic and video if I can.

Here is a video, may want to mute it all you hear is breathing but you can see the pin, any ideas?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11fiWKs8CmB-Q0CkFgrAuPqkUN9XJxLft/view

Please advise,

James

Yes, looks like an allen wrench (hex key) is needed.
To unscrew that hollow head set screw.
You can get a set with most common sizes for about $10.00.

Agree, that looks like an Allen wrench. Hopefully, it is not rounded out. If that's the case, you may need to use an "eazy-out" set to remove it. Also, some folks will tediously cut out the existing tub spout CAREFULLY away from the Allen screw, to allow easier access to remove the spout completely.

I have tried that it is a knob not an indent for an allenwrench. I think the light makes it look like that but there is not an indent if you watch the whole video you will see what I mean. I wish it was that simple. It is like a knob. Rounded no indentation to stick an allen wrench in. Maybe I am wrong and wilm try again tonight but I tried a whole set and felt around.

I appreciate your replies and will try that again but I do not feel an indent to stick in an allenwrench. I will update when I get home from work, I so hope I am wrong.

Thank you,

James

Thank you all.
While it sure did look like some sort of pin accessible through the notch and it did almost look like it would take a hex. It turns out it was just solder drip and the tub spout was a twist off. I only found this out when I got so frustrated that I started pealing the metal off when nothing would loosen what I thought was a pin. Needless to say I will post a video of what I am talking about and hopefully anyone else who may run into such a predicament might find some assistance in my pain.

Thank you all again for the quick responses and ideas. I truly appreciate it. This site is a great resource and I may just put up the videos on Youtube also with it linking back here as others should know about this site.

I will follow up with the video and end result...

Thanks,
James

Latest posts

Back