Need Advice: Cavitation at shutoff valve after installation of pressure reduction valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
frodo,

“A globe valve pointed in the right direction will chatter AND WILL NOT shut off”

I think you meant to say “wrong direction”.

Diehard,

By asking if the valve arrow points towards the water heater, which is downstream of the incoming flow, it is an easier question to answer, to understand if the valve is correctly oriented.

No
frodo,

“A globe valve pointed in the right direction will chatter AND WILL NOT shut off”

I think you meant to say “wrong direction”.

Diehard,

By asking if the valve arrow points towards the water heater, which is downstream of the incoming flow, it is an easier question to answer, to understand if the valve is correctly oriented.

NOPE,
A globe valve pointed in the correct direction can chatter AND will not shut off.
the chatter is caused by the washer being loose, and with washer being loose the valve will leak it will not shut off. The chatter in this position is rare but can happen

The chatter is the rubber fluttering against the seat as the water goes by
In the correct position. the water rarely causes the washer to chatter because the water is pushing the washer into the seat

Exactly !!!!
''By asking if the valve arrow points towards the water heater, which is downstream of the incoming flow, it is an easier question to answer, to understand if the valve is correctly oriented.''

LOL
How easy things can get misinterpreted.
I didn't want to indicate that you may have posted the wrong picture representing a gate valve, as the more important issue was whether it was a ball valve. The reason I say that is because either a globe valve OR a gate valve can chatter, whereas a ball valve would not. A globe valve does not have to be installed backwards to make noise. I have come across many with just loss washer that cause noise.
But I'm not here to question you methods and/or to go off on tangents but to try to help the OP.

As I mentioned, "Not that I've seen very many water services but I've never seen a globe valve on a water service. I assume it was due to the inherent pressure loss thru them."

I understood quite well what you are saying. I just don't always understand the purpose of your questions. For example:
"question i have to ask

which way is the arrow on the valve pointed?

towards the water heater or away from the water heater?"

Please do us both a favor and don't make this a pissing contest again.:rolleyes:
I have increased the pressure to the house by adjusting the pressure reduction valve. This seems to have quieted the pipes because I have not experienced the cavitation noise since the adjustment and it used to make noise every time a toilet was flushed.

I'm not certain why the ball valve was creating the noise because it is the shut off valve to the house and on the high-pressure side of the pressure reduction valve.

At any rate, I appreciate all the advice and helping me think through this problem. The next step is to complete the install of the expansion tank.

I have increased the pressure to the house by adjusting the pressure reduction valve. This seems to have quieted the pipes because I have not experienced the cavitation noise since the adjustment and it used to make noise every time a toilet was flushed.

I'm not certain why the ball valve was creating the noise because it is the shut off valve to the house and on the high-pressure side of the pressure reduction valve.

At any rate, I appreciate all the advice and helping me think through this problem. The next step is to complete the install of the expansion tank.
I think with all this talk about the globe valve, it may have confused you. No one said or thought the ball valve was actually causing the noise.
When you exceed a ratio of 3 to 1 pressure reduction with some PRV's you may get cavitation caused by the PRV. And it sure sounds like that was your problem since reducing that pressure reduction solved the problem.

It's funny how things sometimes go off on tangents, before even finding out if it was a globe valve.

Back