Need advice as a potential new homeowner...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mowneek

Reaction score
So, we are first time homebuyers and admittedly, I am a bit clueless about plumbing in general haha. However, let me explain to you my concern. The house we are in escrow on is a home built in 1900 that has had significant remodeling etc. The house had already fallen out of escrow before because the inspection had some scary but fixable things in it which the seller is mostly dealing with and we have receipts. However, one of my main concerns in the plumbing. I have hired a plumber to come out and inspect this further but would like your advice here-- what do you think this is and what do you think the worst case and best case scenario would be here. Thank you sooo much. The previous inspection report says this.

A video scan and analysis of the main building drain and sewer system to the municipal connection
by a licensed plumber before the end of the contingency period is highly recommended, confirming
that a blockage or deterioration of the non-visible portions of the plumbing system is not present.
During the inspection of the visible portions of the building drain and waste system, it was observed
that older cast iron drains were installed. This is a visual inspection of the drainage piping and our
inspection is limited to running water into sinks, bathtubs, etc. a downstream blockage or
deterioration may be present in the building sewer system. The remaining cast iron waste piping is
beyond its expected lifespan and upgrades are recommended.

Pools of waste water were found in the crawl space. The source appears to be from the hallway bathroom. We recommend further evaluation and correction. A substandard waste pipe connection was found on the left side of the house. We recommend further evaluation and correction. Suggest complete review/correction including cost estimate (bids) by a qualified licensed plumbing contractor before the end of the contingency period.

So what’s the question? Inspector is wanting you to replace entire plumbing system or you assume responsibility for it. Real estate inspectors are not the same as code inspector. So you don’t have too do repairs. Unless your bank wants you too.

On the other hand, do you *really* want to deal with standing puddles of poo as new homeowners?

I'd ask a plumber to come evaluate (as you have) and triage needed work into 1.) critical 2.) recommended and 3.) optional. Have him/her provide estimates for each portion.

I'd then present the entire list to the seller and ask for concessions or fixes to the things in categories 1 and perhaps some of 2. They can say yes to all, no to all, or somewhere in between.

This is how I've dealt with defects in purchases in the past. I've also been on the selling end when a buyer asks for a huge laundry list of non-critical stuff and I've told them to go find a "perfect" house which was built in the middle of last century.

Back