Need a low cracking pressure check valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If he drilles a hole in his valve and he's happy with the results, I too will be happy. But as a plumber we (generally that is) don't try to bandaid.

If your happy I'm happy. This is what I thought would happen.

You could try a curved diptube to help scrub your tank as water is used.

If the reverse flow isn't fixed the black particles will not stop unless he gets a different type of water heater with stainless steel or copper jacket, even then not a hundred percent that will stop it. Reverse flow is the issue

I already gave him the prescription by a private message, either he's happy with how it is now, or will do that.

I also have a similar system that worked for many years. The check valve was mounted horizontally by the return to the hot water heater and I could hear it engage with a gentle "clunk" heard from the basement when any faucet was turned on. But after about 15 years, I stopped hearing that sound and the loop failed.

I am planning to replace the valve and would like suggestions on an appropriate one that might be quieter and requires very little cracking pressure.

One interesting thing about our system is that it is part of a geothermal heating and cooling system which has a desuperheater that reclaims much of the waste heat from the compressor and moves the BTUs to a hot water tank (which tops out at 135 degrees when the system is running) and then used to supply a propane powered hot water tank with an output setting of 120 degrees. Last year we got rid of the propane hot water tank and replaced it with a tankless system, also set at 120 degrees.

I have been wondering if the stored heat from the desuperheater tank will be enough to drive the thermospihon. I guess I'll find out after I change that valve.

Thanks for your advice!

Last edited:
flush the system,
install a Y strainer with removeable strainer at tank
the ck valve is chattering because of debris keeping it open
re-pipe ck valve to horizontal with minimum 12'' straight pipe on both ends to lessen turbulence

look at the old ck valve for a part number or name in the brass casting. replace with the same model/name is possible

Latest posts

Back