Navien NPE-180 Keeps Shutting off

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sl8812

Reaction score
Hello, Thank you for taking the time to read my question. I have a Navien combi boiler that randomly shuts itself off. After it shuts off I hit the reset button and it starts up again. After I restart it will stay on sometimes for hours before I need to push the button to start it again and usually does it at least 5 times a day this time of year. The strange thing is that it only happens when the temp outside are 35 degrees or less. It never does it in the summer time. I had a tech come out a couple times last winter and he never got it fixed, but still charged me $1600 for parts and labor. It would be working fine when he was at my house, but acting up again a short time later. The tech replace the control board, a transformer, flame rod, tested combustion, descaled it, cleaned all filters, plus cleaned burners. Is it possible that condensation is freezing somewhere and causing this problem since only happens when its cold? Is there anything i can try myself to fix this frustrating problem?

That model you used is NOT a combi.
Either way, if it is a modern unit, it has a plethora of troubleshooting error codes that ought to instigate in the display.
How old is the unit?
All the items that the technician did are good trys.
We call Navien tech line and run through a series of test scenarios with them while on the phone, in cases like this.
They generally refuse to go through those steps with homeowners bc it is too frustrating.
Show us a pic of the installation and the vent.
Is the total vent run within specs (less that 60 ft. for two inch PVC?

Have you contacted Navien directly. Most of these tankless manufactures want you using certified repair personal. I installed a Navien for my parents years ago and all repairs and warranty work has been performed by a Navien tech. I hope it works out for you. I have seen lots of heartache with those things and will never have one in my residence.

Back