name this valve(?)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan Ewald

Reaction score
Hello all! Amateur question:

What are these?

I have a boiler heating system, and these are at the front end of two of my heating water loops. It looks like a brass valve, but there's no handle. As you can see, there is a screwdriver-turned bolt. Is this correct? Or is the nuts-looking part the part to turn?

The house was built (and presumably, so was the heating system) in 2001.

I want to know what this is before I start messing with them. Are they pressure valves?Ball valves? Some other kind of turn-off valve?

What are these used for? Are they specific to a boiler heating system?

Nobody at a Home Depot has ever seen these things before.

Thank you very much in advance.

Attachments

• 1022180102a.jpg
    1022180102a.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 1022180101.jpg
    1022180101.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 17
They are used for isolating a Zone when purging air out of your boiler system just a simple valve quarter turn left or right stops the flow

Thank you very much for your quick (!!!) response! I assume that the flow is with the line ie if the screwdriver line is perpendicular to the pipe, the pipe is blocked.

Thanks again!

They are used for isolating a Zone when purging air out of your boiler system just a simple valve quarter turn left or right stops the flow

Are those coin valves? How has nobody at Home Depot seen them? Most hot water heater drains use that style of valve.

Latest posts

Back