Mystery tailpiece connection for antique sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jclarktaylor

Reaction score
I purchased a great old pedestal sink and am trying to find a fit for a waste tailpiece. The push up threads are too small for standard 1 1/4 nut. Any ideas? I am wondering if it is a european connection? Not sure how old the sink is.

Thanks for checking this out. The connection at the tailpiece is just too small for the 1 1/4" push nut (?)

Many new members don't understand how important providing your location can help the experts here. Using a VPN and not giving a location as to where you live causes many to bypass your question. If this pedistal sink is being installed across the pond, the answer is quite simple. If it is from Canada, it could also indicate European threads. Please help us in order to help you.

Thats a nice old sink. Hope you find your part. This sink is from the Rutherford B. Hayes house in Fremont, Ohio. House
was built in the middle 1800's

Attachments

• IMG_20220924_121202077.jpg
    IMG_20220924_121202077.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1
Many new members don't understand how important providing your location can help the experts here. Using a VPN and not giving a location as to where you live causes many to bypass your question. If this pedistal sink is being installed across the pond, the answer is quite simple. If it is from Canada, it could also indicate European threads. Please help us in order to help you.
I am in St. Louis Missouri. I bought the sink from a place that sells deconstructed building parts, from floor to roof and everything in between. The sink likely came from a church bathroom from here. I may be able to get more info from the reseller.

Are there threads on the inside of the bottom of the tee????
There are no inside threads. The 1 1/4" tailpiece fits perfectly to the connection but the push nut (?) is just a bit too wide for the threads.

The term is slip joint nut.
They now come commonly 1-1/2", 1-1/4 and rarely 1-3/8" ...beyond that, you are sunk.

Have you tried all slip nut sizes on those threads
I will be checking with the place where I bought it and see if they have any idea or parts that fit old connections. My hoped for solution is that it is European/metric as the 1 1/4 tailpiece fits the opening perfectly. It is the slip nut that is just a bit too big.

Have you tried all slip nut sizes on those threads
I have a plumber who has done all the work on the bathroom and is trying to install the sink as a final job but he is flummoxed. Professional plumber.

Do you think it's an international thread of some sort????
The frustrating part is that the nut itself is too wide to fit the threads together. I have read somewhere that it may be a European standard and am trying to find out if there are differences by only a few millimeters but so far no luck.

Back