Mystery: Got Immediate Hot Water - but I have no recirc system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riickk

Reaction score
4 AM last night I was up, and used 2nd floor bathroom. Turning on hot water tap in sink, got immediate hot water, usually this takes some time (? 30-40 seconds ?)
I have no recirculating system in this house, so how could this happen? 🤷‍♂️
None of the other faucets (yes I checked) gave me immediate hot water at 4 AM.
BTW: Checked from basement up, and thankfully found no evidence of water leaking anywhere.

Are there any fixtures that use water at night?

Humidifiers?
Water softener?
Sprinklers?

Where are you located, no location listed on your profile.

Cross connection from bad cartridge, like Frodo mentioned, might be leaking hot into cold.

Do you have hot water heat, or forced air?

Maybe a toilet is also slowly leaking at the flapper, and always refilling?

No leaks, no running toilets, no shortage of hot water I'd expect with any bad single lever cartridges, and besides, I had the Delta's handle turned to full hot. Maybe I did fall asleep, standing up. I'll check the cameras... except, no kinks, there are no cameras.

Jeff: I'm in Wilmington, DE; some 4 miles, as the helicopter flies, from where Uncle Joe (the Prez) lives. Heat is FWA, but an odd 1960 concoction of a gas hot water boiler that circulates hot water to a "car-heater core" type radiator, that finally transfers heat to air, then warm air circulated by fan.
(Well, you asked :))

Frodo, did you say Carne Asada?? Wonderful stuff. But, haven't had any since a visit to Tucson.

Last edited:
Maybe the home heating boiler is overheating your domestic hot water supply, somehow?
Are they separate systems?

I would say you have a faucet leaking by internally.

Latest posts

Back