Mysterious Gurgling in Wall

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny_Bonino

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I moved into a new-construction house about 6 months ago, and for the past 4 weeks I have been periodically hearing a strange gurgling sound in our wall. I only began to hear it after using a rarely-used bathroom. I initially thought it was a plumbing/water issue, so I had a plumber come check it out. He informed me that there are no water pipes where the sound is coming from - very strange. I've tried researching this issue online, but I haven't found much. I feel like it has to be related to me using the sink, toilet and shower that rarely gets used, but I can't figure it out! Part of me thinks it might somehow be a furnace/HVAC issue... If anybody has any suggestions or thoughts I would greatly appreciate them. Thanks!

Could be HVAC refrigerant lines if they’re close by and it’s running.

The plumber hopefully would’ve checked for that or ruled it out.

Thanks for the quick response... My heat has been running, but not my AC. Could the refrigerant lines still be the culprit?
Do you have a heat pump or gas heat ? Both ?

Electric heat pump would flow refrigerant when heating. It’s collecting heat from outside then dumping it inside via the refrig lines and coil.

It could be an air admittance valve, part of the plumbing vent system, improperly hidden behind the drywall.

Or part of the vent might be open in the wall, never connected to the system.

It could be sound carried up from the furnace ducts, maybe your humidifier water trickling, or the sound of the condensate pump taking water away.

Some of the rarely used fixtures might have dry traps, run some water in each fixture once a month.

Since you have gas heat......I have no idea. Sorry.....
No worries... Thanks for the help!

It could be an air admittance valve, part of the plumbing vent system, improperly hidden behind the drywall.

Or part of the vent might be open in the wall, never connected to the system.

It could be sound carried up from the furnace ducts, maybe your humidifier water trickling, or the sound of the condensate pump taking water away.

Some of the rarely used fixtures might have dry traps, run some water in each fixture once a month.
Thanks for the response! Do you think it would be more appropriate for a plumber or HVAC technician to inspect these possible causes? I'm trying to get it solved quickly as I fear the possibility of long term damage

Toilet ballcock may be intermittently running. You mentioned you hear it after using that bathroom.

Too many variables to advise.
Try to narrow down the exact spot you hear the sound.
And when it happens.
That will point a plumber in the right direction, or at least shorten the wild goose chase.

If it was my house I’d go nuts and beat a hole in the wall......

you think I’m kidding.....😐

You can buy a little inspection camera with a long snake cable for as low as $35.00 on Amazon.
Just pop a little 3/8 inch hole in the drywall and you can poke in the camera and explore everything behind there.
They have a light on the camera end, and also little attachments for grabbing stuff.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to contact the builder of the home and a plumber today... hopefully I'm able to return here with a solution and happy ending

Latest posts

Back