My plumber wants to remove my old "U" Trap / "house trap"in my basement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarveyCat

Reaction score
My plumber wants to remove my old "U" Trap / "house trap"in my basement - the home is from the 1930s and located in Jersey City, New Jersey. He said they are no longer needed - has anyone had theirs removed? Apparently modern fixtures - made since the 1980s take care of all trapping of sewer gas - he said these U traps are obsolete and always cause issues. Is he right?

Thanks! So all that needs to be done- is to sawzall out the U Trap and fernco coupling in a 4" PVC cleanout? Really thats it? What about adding a check valve right there - Jersey City has had sewer backups - it has a 100 year old "combined" rain run off and sewer system.

Thanks! So all that needs to be done- is to sawzall out the U Trap and fernco coupling in a 4" PVC cleanout? Really thats it? What about adding a check valve right there - Jersey City has had sewer backups - it has a 100 year old "combined" rain run off and sewer system.
You don’t have check valve now ?

AKA: backwater valve.

Last edited:
Doesn't the city concern themselves with the "combined rain run off and sewer system?"

Yeah - it is a 100 years old combines rain & sewer system and the city just opens the flood gates into the Hudson River in heavy rains. We get our drinking water from upstate. I do not have a back flow preventer aka check valve - though I am in the highest area around - in the Heights - high above the rest of town - up on the Palisades.

Yeah - it is a 100 years old combines rain & sewer system and the city just opens the flood gates into the Hudson River in heavy rains. We get our drinking water from upstate. I do not have a back flow preventer aka check valve - though I am in the highest area around - in the Heights - high above the rest of town - up on the Palisades.
No way for me to know if you’re at risk. If you’re well above everyone else then you would never have a problem. If you’re not, there’s potential for a poop swimming pool.

Your local code department would be able to answer if your local code required them. It’s free to call. Your plumber should know.

If your at risk of sewer backups,and storm water issues it's a no brainier, especially if you have fixtures and living space,my brother in law and I renovated their unfinished basement to a small apartment
I installed a back water valve , and a cleanout outside of the house, more than once has that back water valve saved them from huge messes

We use to also poop in little boxes outside the house. We use to do some really dumb things when we didn't know any better. But with the knowledge we've learned, I'm surprised cities still allow it.

IMG_8403.jpeg

Here is the existing "U trap" - it has 3 1/4" plugs - it has a floor drain and the cast-iron vent in the top right hand corner of the photo. This is what should be dug out and replaced with PVC clean outs and check. Previous owner said drain blocked and basement flooded a few years ago.

If your thinking about putting in a back water valve this would be the time to do it when the concrete is broken up and the drain is
cut out.

That is exactly what I was thinking - if I want to wait a year to do anything - once the U trap has been all cleaned out -how long does it usually take to build back up? Do most old homes still have these things?

Ok - this is crazy - but as it turns out Jersey City will not let you remove house traps/"U traps" - so what should I do? Should I get it checked and cleaned out every few years? Any advice? The previous owner said it's not storm related and when it was augured, it was just tampons and such in this U trap. Would taking it out and replacing it with PVC. Keep it more clear? I really don't understand the city's rationale for keeping it. Since it is just the short "U Trap" what would be best to keep there - ready and available to auger if ever needed? Would a good Ridgid Toilet Auger Snake do the job? Would adding Green Gobbler or something help?

IMG_8856.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeh you could clear it with an auger, they sell 2 lengths 3'and 6' I bought the 6' one
Rigid does, not sure about general then you could flush it with a 4" drain balloon

Thanks - I have a 6' Rigid toilet auger but I tried to use a 4" Drain Ballon before and mine never expanded to seal pipe - what was I doing wrong - mine just acted like a regular hose.

Screenshot_20230607-173837.png

My pipe is 4" but I have never gotten drain balloons to work - how can you get them to blow up?

They work on street water pressure I use one occasionally, now that I think of it it's to clear a house trap, I have no access to it unless we break up a nicely tiled floor and the cleanout are buried

Back