My bathroom repair project

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took some pics of some of the accessories that are still in boxes.
My towel bar (by Style Selections)
1798135_448793118586892_1632518814_n.jpg

The matching towel ring
1977322_448793855253485_847798811_n.jpg

The shower rod (by Zenith)
1920193_448793638586840_61238626_n.jpg

I could have sworn that I got the toilet paper holder, but I don't remember where I put it. It is probably in the pile somewhere.

Now you just need to install them.

Yeah. I wanted to get the floor finished and some base molding down before I put them up-- for fear I might somehow break or damage them when I'm moving stuff around. I would really love to find a surround to put up around that tub. If the one I saw at the surplus lumber place wasn't too shallow I'd buy it and then try to add corner shelves somehow. Right now I have some old yellowed corner shelves that are caulked on. I want to find something that will match the finish of whatever tub surround I get and not have to have copious amounts of caulk and visible seams.

Thanks! I hate that I've had to postpone finishing it up. I really want to get this finished.
The weather isn't helping. It can't make up its mind. One day its hot and sunny and the next its cold and rainy.

The discussion about how my kitchen sink was improperly plumbed/vented made me take another look under my vanity. I found this:
10152433_455282301271307_141751630_n.jpg

1920012_455282394604631_1908748598_n.jpg

1521242_455282334604637_778631589_n.jpg

image.axd

I think my mother's vanity has the same or similar setup. In fact, I believe all of the sinks in the house were hooked up without proper vents.
tbe9ba0_StarTrekTripleFacePalm.jpg

Last edited:
s-traps were common at one point. It would of been the norm when it was installed but you wont get away with it in modern homes.

Also.....what the hell is going on with that mechanical drain? It has 2 of the same rods on it. I cant figure out how it would even connect up top :eek:

s-traps were common at one point. It would of been the norm when it was installed but you wont get away with it in modern homes.

Also.....what the hell is going on with that mechanical drain? It has 2 of the same rods on it. I cant figure out how it would even connect up top :eek:

I have no idea... I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it. I'll have to look at it later.

Does the attachment look sloppy or is it just me? My plumber was in his late 70s when he installed it and he was starting to go blind and lose his coordination. He was almost completely blind the last time he came out-- but his son-in-law was there to help him. Poor old guy. He was very nice. He would give me a little bit of history about the house and the previous occupants every time he came out. (Some people don't like to listen to "old people" telling stories about their youth and past history, but I've always loved it).

I'm not going to be able to climb under the house and look at the plumbing there anytime soon. My doctor has banned me from climbing under there until my skin infection goes away. I hope it goes away soon.

Those flat rods with the holes are usually just one part of the mechanical drain. The shinier brass one in the picture is how its normally used.

Can you post pics of the entire set up? How does he have it connected to the faucet? Im baffled :confused:

Also....best of luck to ya in the skin infection, but maybe you dont wanna see what the plumbing under the house looks like :eek: :D

Matt, I'm not really sure why the extra flat piece is on there. I think maybe it was stuck or something... It's not easy to tell. I stuck the camera into the vanity in the dark and snapped some pics.
From the right side:
25935_460514094081461_1541064360_n.jpg

left side
10155109_460514360748101_394418964_n.jpg

here's the shot when I turned the camera upward toward the back part to view how it connected to the diverter up top.
1656080_460514164081454_77398224_n.jpg

That last one turned out better than I'd expected for a blind shot.

Also, I wonder why the hell my sink has those weird bubbles.

Haha. I see what they did now.

They used that abandoned rod to make sure that little sheet metal V clip doesnt slide off :D Crafty!

Thanks....that was really bugging me :eek:

Haha. I see what they did now.

They used that abandoned rod to make sure that little sheet metal V clip doesnt slide off :D Crafty!

Thanks....that was really bugging me :eek:

No problem. The plumber had 60 years of having to come up with clever solutions when he didn't have parts or just needed to jerry rig something. Apparently when he installed the S-traps they were still legal. I miss the old guy. He liked to talk to me when he was working and he would tell me about the house's history. No matter how many times he told me the same stories, I still liked to listen.

I really need to do something to make progress on this but the skin infection thing is really being a pain. I've got about another week of antibiotics I think..

I see most of my pictures don't work, which is fine. I'm too lazy to re-post pics right now but I might later, but there has been some progress.
1. The PVC/CPVC lines have all been replaced with Pex (but the shower is not hooked up & my friend got the hot & told for sink run up through the wrong holes so they are crossed over to serve the sink properly)
2. I *finally* finished the leveling job to as good as I figure its going to get & installed my vinyl sheet
3. I deep cleaned my sink to remove stains, put some stuff away, organized, & cleaned my countertop
4. I got a laundry cart put together that is holding tools & miscellaneous stuff
5. I got a toilet installed so it is now a mostly functional bathroom

I have to thank Havasu for the encouragement that motivated me to finally get it done. I kept procrastinating and once my water was hooked up to my sink I realized I had zero excuse not to try the leveling mix by myself. I had to sift out lumps to make it smooth and I screwed up on the ratio of water to mix but I ended up getting a good consistency and getting the floor mostly smooth. The whole room slopes toward the exterior wall so not much I could do there and it wasn't self-leveling mix. Used a Better Than Wax seal to make things easier. Installed my Toto Drake and it flushes like a beast.

This is the floor underneath the vinyl sheet:
1670473118677.png

The 1st attempt at leveling job went afoul because the mix was too lumpy. 2nd mix was fine and did some smoothing. Angle grinder smoothed down some of the bumps. My friend helped with the first 2. 3rd one I did on my own. Its not perfect but it doesn't feel awful.
This is my sketchup approximation of the area where the toilet goes:
1670473342981.png
Dry fit of the vinyl sheet:
1670473415853.png1670473437160.png1670473470368.png
After trimming and perimeter tape (but before cleaning)
1670473562792.png1670473578750.png1670473604698.png
Is till need to do more trimming and smoothing in some areas
1670473635715.png
Getting this area flattened and tucked under the edge of the carpet band thingy was a total pain in the fingers.
1670473673740.png
More pics in next post

After cleanup (that red stain seems permanent-- some sort of red-handled tool sat on it and stained it and I have tried everything I can think of to get the stain out-- so I put a bath mat over it)
1670473737362.png
1670473777220.png
I snagged this brown thick paper (somewhat like cardboard but thinner) for free from Samsclub & it came in handy to protect the floor:
1670473830593.png
Put in an escutcheon around the PEX and over the ugly hole in the floor (also got my friend to install the shiny handle that is all metal-- except the porcelain part-- with no plastic)
1670473875311.png
The hinge clasp on the seat broke so I replaced the entire hinge (not posting pics of that unless requested)
Got this nifty laundry cart which was a b* and a half to put together but is pretty nice once assembled
1670474100923.png
Shower/tub is still filled with junk for now
1670474029947.png
Vanity before:
1670474064812.png
After:
1670474332300.png
1670474445547.png
Sir Hammington sick and tired of me raving about my bathroom
1670474505998.png

The sink has a small chip in the bowl and some cracks, but it still works. I used the internet to find cleaning solutions. Vinegar and baking soda seemed to work the best.
Before
1670474674085.png
After:
1670474720308.png
I have had some issues with mice chewing some of the spots on the vinyl flooring so I will have to cover those spots. I stuffed steel wool into mouse holes and may need to add some caulk or something else to secure it better.

The shower is a complete mess not just bc of the stuff in it, but because the wall panels are disgusting and falling off. They were glued to printed wood panels that had murals of ducks. The wall panels are delaminating.
1670475162351.png
1670475207479.png
What still needs to be done?
*Fix/reattach hinges to vanity door & vanity
*Sand & do another coat of paint on vanity
*Remove bare wood trim and replace with nicer trim
*Smooth floor out better in some spots
*Replace switch for vent/light/heater
*Replace GFCI oulet
*Install vanity light
*Sand & paint window trim & door
*Frame out and install new mirror
*Empty out tub and find good spot for chest of drawers
*Get (or build) & install tank topper cabinet
*Install cementboad and new shower walls
*Install new shower trim and showerhead
*Install wainscoting and baseboards
*Clean up tub and patch gouge in porcelain
*Eat chocolate and take a shower

The PEX is roughed in for the shower-- access is in the adjacent hallway closet. I will be going with Delta Lahara trim with a pex crimp Multichoice valve.
1670475343842.png
Moen Magnetix Engage showerhead combo
1670475447865.png
Delta corner grab bar shelf
1670475504914.png
Moen Monticello tub spout:
1670476033382.png

I think I've picked my shower surround. I may do some hardiboard backer that is waterproof (purple board isn't suitable for glue-up surrounds according to the manufacturer). So, I'm looking at the Mustee Durawall 350. MUSTEE Durawall 30 in. x 60 in. x 58 in. 3-Piece Easy Up Adhesive Alcove Bath Tub Surround in White 350WHT - The Home Depot
1670475610375.png
That will allow me to install the corner grab bar.
I will add blocking in case I want to add more grab bars later.
I'm thinking of adding some suction cup shelves above and below the grab bar shelf and adding a tension rod shelf thingy to the other corner. I may have a shower caddy as well.

I'm seriously thinking of getting some sort of soap/shampoo dispenser that mounts to the wall via adhesive or suction cups to avoid having bottles in the shower that can fall/get dropped. I use a combo of shampoo & conditioner and bodywash/facewash. So I should only need 2 dispensers. I want to use the existing shower curtain tension rod at the back of the shower so I can hang hooks on it to hang up things like back scrubbers.

I'm thinking of using instatrim for where the walls meet the tub (my tub does not have a flange/lip). I'm thinking of making some sort of lip but not sure if it is necessary. I will probably use some flashingspanning the joists behind the backerboard.

So, any suggestions?

I'm impressed! Almost ten years in the making and I applaud the stick-to-it-ivness!
Thanks, I actually started in 2008. Well, the toilet got removed in 2008. I started working on it in March 2009. I didn't even set foot in this bathroom for years. It was the last place I saw my father alive. He came in to see my progress, we said "I love you", he said he was proud of me, & we hugged. He said he was going to bed. Died in his sleep that night. For years I couldn't go in there without thinking about him and getting upset.

I forgot to mention that when I installed the toilet seat, I used some bolts that fit in to rubber "bungs" that sort of bubble up when you tighten the bolts and it does 2 things: Keeps the bolt from moving around inside the porcelain hole so it doesn't damage porcelain and it doesn't come loose like nuts so it keeps the seat on sturdy. I was constantly having to tighten the ones on the seat in Mom's bathroom. But then, everyone in the house was using only that one. I actually need to go clean it since no one else in the house will. I installed a bidet sprayer thing that attaches under the seat. I had to use tank bolts because seat bolts weren't long enough-- but my brother loves the bidet. My mom can't use it bc she's got wide hips and has some fat that hangs completely over the controls.
1670510387861.png

Eventually I would like to replace the window in this bathroom with a double pane argon filled vinyl window, but for now I'm sticking to the metal one. I don't even know if it opens or not. It's covered in cobwebs. The wood trim is very rough so it will need to be sanded.

I haven't taken pics but I've added some things: Counter is cluttered again with cleaning supplies (which I can probably shove into the cabinet. I got a Clorox toilet wand and caddy. I want to get a floor mat for in front of the sink. There is a slight crease in the floor that I've been trying to flatten out with the Henry's leveling mix box. I have two mats in the hall closet but they have a greenish tint to them. I still have the mop in the bathroom but in a different location. I also added a broom with folding dustpan. The dustpan has a little rake to pull lint/hair/fur off the bristles so its nice. The light in the bathroom still works but the heat and fan don't seem to work. I changed the lightbulb not too long ago & the stupid cover won't go all the way back up.

Initially I'd planned to put the dresser (which is sitting in the tub) next to the toilet, like this: (note the crappy drawing of the tub spout & handles that looked like a duck face)
1670508622815.png

Found out my shattaff has a built in vacuum breaker so I won't need an external one.
I plan to cut open the toilet to see about a vent under there. Mom's toilet branches off and goes up into that wall. Didn't see a pipe in the attic so I think it terminates in the wall. Since we do have one atmospheric vent in the house, I will probably merge the vents to that wall & put an AAV on it in the attic. The plumbing is obviously done wrong, but the one I marked as vent goes up into my wall. Tees used instead of wyes.. /facepalm
1670508968840.png
1670509056494.png
Underneath the house I will have to address this: When they put in the drain for the tub they cut an entire chunk out of the joist. It is cut all the way through-- not notched. I plan to make a box & sister it up-- filling in that hole & will go with a direct drain instead of the regular drain.
1670508852869.png
Random cat tax flashback to when I had the doors taken off to paint them & had screws & tools inside the clear plastic bowl thing & Rupert decided to "help" by sitting in it.
1670509453356.png
An updated sketch in MSPaint with the new trim & it doesn't look like a duck face (ignore the thing about mirror going in wall-- I measured and studs would be in the way).
1670509654181.png

I did a rough drawing of the room in Sketchup. I didn't take the steps to get the window and sink to not get slightly obscured bc I might move the locations in the sketch after measuring.
1670509713829.png

I will need to draw in the laundry cart thingy (or at least make a box with the approximate dimensions) and the dresser.

I have a small unfinished wooden shelf I might put next to the toilet on the nearby wall (above the tp holder) to hold wet wipes and/or tissue box.

I want to get this cabinet (but I am considering building my own custom one since this one has tripled in price). Unfinished Oak Vanity 24" x 30" Tank Topper | SKU: 5008260 | Home Outlet
1670511123745.png1670511183631.png
I'd paint it to match the cabinets.
I just sneezed so hard I got brainfreeze.

The tub surround arrived & I pestered my friend into helping me pick it up in exchange for some Taco Bell. I almost always get him food when he helps me out. The box was damaged on the upper corner and they loaded it into the truck upsidedown but I didn't see any damage as of yet. Feeling cruddy and too weak to do too much so I haven't opened the box to examine it more thoroughly.

I was thinking of putting 1/4" cementboard under the panels but Havasu said that if I'm tearing stuff down to the studs I should go with 1/2" and that I should use greenboard on top. I'm assuming cementboard doesn't take paint well? I'll defer to his knowledge on this one. Although, greenboard doesn't seem to be available around here so I hope purple drywall can work instead.

Since it will be covered by the surround I think I can get away with the water resistant instead of waterproof kind. I will be putting 100% silicone all along every single crevice.

I'm trying to figure out if I should add some sort of waterproof trim along the perimeter to hide any seams and also be able to add more protection for the wall panels.

This is my sketch but it doesn't show the seams:
1676408047765.png

The most efficient use of the cementboard is to have two panels horizontal along the back wall and two vertical pieces for the end wall. That would bring the end wall cementboard pieces up to 60" and the back up to 72".
Question: Should I cut the back wall one off at 60" to match the side walls? Or should I cut them all off at the height of the surround?

How would you guys do this? (The ceiling is just shy of 9', tub is about ~16H, wall panels are 58"H).

Thanks. I'm hoping I can figure out what to put for around the tub surround. Manufacturer for the purple board said it is not suitable for glue up surrounds. Manufacturer for the surround said drywall is not suitable (I think they suggested it would delaminate).

I bought soup and bread. LOL. I've never gotten into the whole valentine's day thing. Too much of a curmudgeon & I know the origins of it- solely made up to pressure people into buying stuff. I wish they had some sort of power tool buying holiday instead.

Latest posts

Back