My basement toilet is blasting water out at the base.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do a camera inspection of your sewer starting from the downstairs toilet. Sounds like you got something in the sewer lateral.

Today I opened up the walls and started trying to dry all that out with fans. I used drain cleaner on a main level shower, and have had 4 floods today. Currently sitting at the laundromat waiting on our 9 loads of laundry to finish. I’m considering trying to cap the toilet drain until the camera can get here and tell us what needs to happen.

I wouldn't put anymore drain cleaner in as your wasting your money. Also nobody running a snake wants that crap
splattered on them. Let them get it cleaned out and then they can find out what's causing your problem

True. It’s hard to do nothing when your whole family is breathing sewer gas though. I won’t do it again.

The more effective strategy was to choke down the valves that supply water to that shower. The kids aren’t happy about it, but a little water for your shower is better than no shower at all.

We’re also only flushing toilets for solids, and trying to do our business elsewhere as often as possible.

Guess what? Two days with no sewer smell and no flood.

I can’t explain the relief of it. We’re all down with respiratory illness as of Friday, so I’m glad this is working so far. Hopefully the camera inspection will happen asap, and we can get a real solution in the works.

I hear you on the sewer gas thing. Our former tenants screwed up our plumbing royally and we were breathing sewer gases for years-- and feeling sick but never knowing why-- until I discovered the problem and capped off the drains responsible for the gases.

I hope you get the issue resolved very soon.

The camera inspection was today. The entire line is full of solids. The plumber intends to bring in a backhoe, dig up the line, install a cleanout in the yard, and hydro jet the line. He said they hit a blockage at or under the street, which can get expensive, because the city will have to be involved. He said they’re gonna take care of everything so now I’m just waiting to find out when it starts.

The city might be responsible for part of the repair.

Often, once you reach the sidewalk or parkway, they are responsible.

I think right now his hope is that he can clear the blockage with the hydrojet . He just wanted me to know that if they can’t clear it, then the city will have to be involved. This company came highly recommended by one of my most trusted advisors. I call him Dad.

I hope it works out for you and that it's not too expensive.

I would have started with the City... It could have all started under the street and is now building up towards your house.

I decided after 4 months of worry, never ending hypothetical discussions with other home owners in the area, 2 different local plumbers, and 600 bucks, to do whatever the guys on this forum suggested.

I read the city ordinances regarding sewer repair, and it basically says no matter what, it’s at my cost. Even if their sewer were to back up into my house, they can’t be held liable. Even if the blockage is under their street, it’s my bill. And I’m expected to repair their road up to their standard, at my expense.

So anyways...thanks very much to all the helpful people on this forum. Hopefully I’ll have more news within a few days. Fingers crossed, there won’t be a need to disturb the road.

I decided after 4 months of worry, never ending hypothetical discussions with other home owners in the area, 2 different local plumbers, and 600 bucks, to do whatever the guys on this forum suggested.

I read the city ordinances regarding sewer repair, and it basically says no matter what, it’s at my cost. Even if their sewer were to back up into my house, they can’t be held liable. Even if the blockage is under their street, it’s my bill. And I’m expected to repair their road up to their standard, at my expense.

So anyways...thanks very much to all the helpful people on this forum. Hopefully I’ll have more news within a few days. Fingers crossed, there won’t be a need to disturb the road.
Hopefully that was a misinterpretation on someones part.
I don't believe that blockage under their street is your responsibility.

Last edited:
Sewer blaster, the city ordinance may say that, but it might not be enforceable legally. It's like if there is an unreasonable/illegal clause in a contract, it is nullified if someone challenges it in court. If it is on their end, they are responsible for it BUT they would likely have to be the ones to call the plumber- so maybe that is the difference. Hopefully where you live is not as corrupt as where I live & perhaps you could consult an attorney about it, if it would be worth it to you. Of course they city will try to claim it isn't their responsibility but they should have to pay for it. But, should and will are two different beasts.

Back