Moving Washing Machine to basement, did handyman drain properly? PIC

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbobobbo

Reaction score
Moving our washing machine to the basement. We have a sealed ejector pit nearby and I was told this would be ok to drain into for the washing machine. My question is, is this drain pipe properly done? Is the standpipe tall enough? It appears he tapped into the vent line, is this ok?

pit.jpg

804.1 All plumbing fixtures or other receptors
receiving the discharge of indirect waste pipes shall be
approved for the use proposed and shall be of such
shape and capacity as to prevent splashing or flooding
and shall be located where they are readily accessible
for inspection and cleaning.
No standpipe receptor for
any clothes washer shall extend more than thirty (30)
inches (762 mm), nor less than eighteen (18) inches
(457 mm) above its trap.
No trap for any clothes
washer standpipe receptor shall be installed below the
floor,

but shall be roughed in not less than six (6)
inches (152 mm) and not more than eighteen (18)
inches (457 mm) above the floor.

I am sitting here giggling like a school girl at the site of the upside down water hammer air chamber. installed incorrectlya.gif

Oh wow just realized that... the air chamber is upside down, thus pointless. Just wow......

Can you summarize for the drain? It appears to be a touch more than 18" off the ground, issue? The drain into the vent stack is ok it appears?

Air chambers are worthless anyway
The drain in the photo appears to be non conforming, but use a tape measure and determine if it is more than 18" above the floor.
It is probably functionally (not legally) fine to use that vent as an inlet to the tank.
Tip: If you don't have already, get a high water alarm system for the ejector!
All codes and common sense require a shut-off valve on the ejector drain to provide serviceablility of the ejector tank.
Without a shut off, you have a pipe full of effluent to deal with for servicing. Get this resolved before your pump fails (they will fail, given time).

So the messed up upside down "air" chamber.... will this cause an issue?
As well even if correct, I understand it's not always necessary anyway?

Even if they were not upside down, if the air chambers have direct contact with the water, they are short lived. Since air is soluble in water, over time these air chambers would become flooded because all the air would be absorbed into the water. Once flooded, the air chamber is no longer an air chamber but a water chamber and will no longer absorb the pressure from water hammer.
Many places now require water hammer arresters. The ones made specifically for washing machines are easy to use.
https://www.amazon.com/Sioux-Chief-...ocphy=9001930&hvtargid=pla-274433040871&psc=1

an air chamber that actually works is 18'' long and 3/4'' pipe
'' and even it'' will water log over time

Focus Diehard, concentrate, let the words tell you a story lol
The way it was worded I assumed(incorrectly) the "it" was suppose to be an "if".

I do try to concentrate on your statements since I tend to have a problem understanding many.
Between your intentional misspelling , trying to be funny and not explaining exactly what you mean sometimes.

Yeah, sorry, I missed this one.

The way it was worded I assumed(incorrectly) the "it" was suppose to be an "if".

I do try to concentrate on your statements since I tend to have a problem understanding many.
Between your intentional misspelling , trying to be funny and not explaining exactly what you mean sometimes.

yeah,,,sometimes i have trouble expressing my thoughts via a key board
i know what i mean. if you cannot figure it out,,you have the problem.

that is my typical type of comment,, all of it was in jest, i notice that you get upset at my banter
and tend to take it as serious.

if you ever see *^*(IN^()PIT*&&PIY&$R(*YGKHM then you know i just got mad !!!!

no...the "IT" was not supposed to be an ''IF"
the "IT" is an "IT"

an air chamber that actually works is 18'' long and 3/4'' pipe
and even it will water log over time

"IF" would not make any sense

Am I the only one wondering where exactly the washing machine is going to go? Is the water heater going to be moved over? It's not important, but I'm just curious as to the setup.

Am I the only one wondering where exactly the washing machine is going to go? Is the water heater going to be moved over? It's not important, but I'm just curious as to the setup.

There's a utility room on the other side of the wall. :)

The upside down shelf bracket resting underneath the p trap, is that even necessary? Or maybe he was using it to stabilize when installing.

There's a utility room on the other side of the wall. :)

The upside down shelf bracket resting underneath the p trap, is that even necessary? Or maybe he was using it to stabilize when installing.
Ohhh! I somehow didn't notice it was the backside of the laundry box. LOL. Not sure about the support for the P-trap but it probably doesn't hurt to have it there.

Latest posts

Back