Moving lines from Floor to Wall for Vanity Installation (Townhouse)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbang1

Reaction score
Hello,
I am in the middle of remodeling the Master Bathroom (2nd floor) on my Townhouse (tiles and everything). I came across with this dilemma: The water lines and drain pipe come from the floor. The old vanity used to have the underneath covered. The new one will be uncovered and is designed to have the plumbing coming from the wall behind.

The thing is that the wall where I would like to have these lines installed is the end wall of my Townhouse, next to the following unit. I was wondering if this situation is common, doable, or it is simply not allowed since it is the wall that connects with the next Townhouse? I have 2 other bathrooms and they have the plumbing from walls, but those are interior walls. My guess is that there might be a reason why the original developer chose to install the lines from floor in that specific bathroom.

If this can't be done (by code and/or by common sense) I will keep shopping a different vanity then, not that uncovered at the bottom.

I will appreciate some comments to make a decision here. I just cut open a portion of the drywall to peek the frame.
Thanks

old.jpeg new.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

There may be a beam in the floor preventing the pipes from being moved into the wall. You’d have to look under the subfloor to see the situation.

You could offset the drain above the floor and put it in the wall but that might not be acceptable to you.

There may be a beam in the floor preventing the pipes from being moved into the wall. You’d have to look under the subfloor to see the situation.

You could offset the drain above the floor and put it in the wall but that might not be acceptable to you.
Thank you for the replies. (I'm not sleeping in that room while doing this project, but yeah, I forgot to cover the pipes, I would have had nightmares, lol)

I was thinking the same, maybe some beam or framing structure that will prevent to put plumbing through it. My handyman was telling me that this should not be an issue, that he has done it many times in other houses. I told him that this is a Townhouse, with a wall connecting the next unit, and that I wasn't sure if this was doable.

I was curious, so I went ahead and also read something interesting tonight (trying to find some guidance from the building code and I found this:
(North Carolina)
706.1.1 Party Walls
Any wall located on a lot line between adjacent buildings, which is used or adapted for joint service between the two buildings, shall be constructed as a fire wall in accordance with Section 706. Party walls shall be constructed without openings and shall create separate buildings.

The building code from Florida is even more specific:
When not more than three stories in height, townhouses may be separated by a single wall meeting the following requirements:
1.Such wall shall provide not less than a 2-hour fire-resistance rating. Plumbing, piping, ducts, electrical or other building services shall not be installed within or through the 2-hour wall, unless such materials and methods of penetration have been tested in accordance with Section 703.

I guess that both mention something like using some fire-resistance rated material to make penetrations in the firewall (I didn't read the entire section, but I guess it says so). Then I thought I was pushing this remodeling into something bigger and more complicated, for the sake of my taste for an specific Vanity model. I just ended up ordering a different vanity with just a small clearance off the floor, so it will not be that noticeable, and plumbing will stay in the floor as it is now.

Back