More pressure please?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddaavviidd

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am trying to get more water pressure. Last week I had an episode where pressure dropped significantly, and I think I found the problem; the pressure tank was almost empty of air. I brought it back to around 30psi empty which gives about 40psi when full of water, which is what it says on the sticker.

But while I was at it, I tried to increase my water pressure (coming from a well about 150' from the house, 180' deep, 600gallons per hour according to the ex-owner of the house). The submersible pump is 8 years old. My pressure only reaches 24psi, and as soon as we use water, it goes down to 20psi. I spent significant time changing settings on the 2 adjustments crews, which either made it worst of remained the same. I am trying my best to solve this without calling a plumber, but would be ready to do so if it means I'd get a stronger shower! Is there a procedure to troubleshoot the issue, starting with the pump and all the way to the adjustment box?
Pressure tank dates from 2006 (according to the sticker) so I assume the box too. Thanks for any help or suggestion you can provide!

Twisting the screws on the pressure switch will not make the pump work any harder. It will only pump what it can. As long as the pump is running and the pressure only makes 24 psi, there is one of three things wrong.

1. The drop pipe has a hole/s in it and the pressure can't get any higher because the water is just circulating in the well instead of building pressure.
2. The pump has pulled the water down to itself. But this would be an intermittent problem.
3. The pump is worn out. The impellers for one of several reasons are nuked or just worn.

Your tank adjustment didn't make much sense. You should have a 20# differential on your pressure switch; as in 20/40 or 30/50psi. If you let the pressure off everything and aired the tank up to 30 psi, you should still only see 24psi on the gauge. With the 30 in the tank and the 24 in the system, you would still read 30 with a tire gauge.

Now that I look at it, your are right speedbump; tire gauge gives me 30psi, and the pressure indicator attached to the pipe leaving the adjustment box is at 24psi. To deal with the 3 problems you point out, I guess I'll have to call someone as I never even opened the cap on top of the well pipe... Except if you tell me it's easier to work with than it looks like!

Re-reading your answer... So if I want 30/50 how much should I fill my tank? Right now it is at 32psi (with the tire gauge) but it is filled, not empty.

With 30/50 you want 28 pounds in the tank. But you have to check and air with the water pressure at zero.

Your probably going to need a well man to take a look. Most plumbers don't work on wells, so look for a pump or well guy or both.

Okay, so little update on my situation. The well guys (I had a good reference so was confident in their work) came in, quickly saw that it was a problem outside the house, either a split pipe or something with the pump. After getting the pump out we realized it was 25 years old (thank you you stupid liar ex-owner who said it was about 6-7 years old), covered in rust and electrical tape from top to bottom, and that it was working at half capacity or less (there were 3 burned 'things' in the motor part, can't remember their name). They put a new pump in, changed the couplings at the pump and at the top of the well with brass ones as the old ones were completely rusted, they readjusted pressure in the tank and screws in the control box and we now enjoy a continuous 40-60 pressure in the house (something that never happened in the two years we lived here). All in all it was definitely worth calling them, since now I also know that the rest of the installation is more recent and in good order.

Not to make light of a bad situation, but your statement made me laugh! It is worth repeating one more time!

"Thank you you stupid liar ex-owner who said it was about 6-7 years old."

I got a kick out of that too. As a matter of fact I have made similar statements several times in the past.

I have a similar situation. Maybe you guys can lend some advice.

Here's a little bit about my system... My pressure switch is a 30/50. I have a 32 gal pressure tank from 1993. The well is 430ft deep, about 175ft from the house and yields about 6 gpm.

Here's what I'm experiencing. The pressure is awful. It works good in the basement, Ok on the first floor and bearly makes it to the 2nd floor. When running the water, the pressure drops from 50 to 30 in about 20-30 seconds and refills back to 50 in about 10 seconds. When not running water, the pressure holds. The pressure of the tank always matches the line pressure.

I shut the pump off, drained the system and the tank pressure was zero. I filled it up to 28 and it held. I refilled everything and drained it down again. The tank pressure was at zero again and it felt like there was still water in the tank. When the system is full, no water comes out of the air valve on the tank. Just air. Now, I've only pressed the valve briefly. Should I hold the needle in for a while to see if I get water out of it? Is it definately my tank? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Your tank is waterlogged and the bladder is gone. You really should replace it before you take out your motor.

Do you have any filters after the tank? Any kind at all, in line filters, water softeners, iron filters, carbon filters etc?

I replaced the tank. It was definately the problem. I have 3 inline filters after the tank.

Those three inline filters are probably the reason you don't have any pressure upstairs. Inline filters are useless.

What do you suggest I use to catch sediment. I change my filters about once every month or two.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why people think they have to catch sediment. I mean unless you are using river water, there shouldn't be any sediment in your water. At least nothing that can be seen with the naked eye. So anything you can't see can't harm you anyway. If it's chemicals, those filters aren't going to catch it anyway. There are filters that remove hardness, iron, sulphur gas and a few other things. They are much larger than those in line filters and have backwashing heads on them along with a manufactured mineral that will actually remove what they claimed to remove. Not so with inline filters.

My filters turn black within the first day and actually get build up on them after a while. I have high iron in my water.

You could put an old cotton sock in the canister and it would change color, but it doesn't mean it's doing anything for the quality of your water.

Back