Moentrol 3350 strange behaviour

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Varinn

Reaction score
Through a series of unfortunate events, the shower that we put together a year ago is finally finished and we went to use it yesterday and I have a strange behaviour I need input on.

We have a Moentrol 3350 valve body. The bottom valve appears to work correctly. The knob left is hot, knob right is cold, push in to stop and pull out to start.

The upper valve doesn't work well at all. If I turn the knob up, I get rainhead flow. If I turn it down I get nearly nothing from the hand-wand. Water does flow but no more than a trickle. Turning the knob to the left is a mixture of the two but still minimal flow to the hand wand. Pushing the knob in does not fully stop flow, pulling it out makes little to no difference also. The knob has at most 1/4" of travel in and out.

When we bought our house and started renovations we re-plumbed the entire house from Poly-B to Pex. As a favor our plumber soldered the Pex fittings into our valve for us but the install was done later by myself once we got to it. On pressure test I found that the lower valve cartridge leaked water through the screwhole so I had it replaced under warranty at a local supplier. I tested again and noticed a few days later the same leak happening on the upper valve so I had it also replaced under warranty. I am thinking that in this time either myself or my plumber had installed the cartridges backwards, or my supplier replaced one of them with the wrong cartridge.

Has anyone encountered anything like this? I don't want to just start buying cartridges and I am not confident in exactly what inserts I should be using anyways. According to this spec sheet I should have 162154 in the top but looking online I see 116719 as being the "3 function transfer valve" cartridge.

From what I’ve read the moen 3350 has a two function diverter not three function.515A6A63-BC87-46C0-B9C5-C0E9EE7416B0.jpeg

You could very well be correct, it might also be that I bought a model 3330 but it's been a couple years and I really don't remember. Either way, I'm getting flow through the rainhead seemingly without issue but the secondary output doesn't work and the push/pull doesn't seem right.

I tried reaching out to Moen and they force me into a callback queue that is literally days from now. I guess they have nearly nobody working in that department...

Sounds like something a real live plumber should figure out for you.

Latest posts

Back