Moen Volume Control Cartridge Replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawren5

Reaction score
My shower is dripping and the volume control cartridge needs to be replaced. A plumber looked at it but said he couldn't fix it because the large nut requires a special tool which is difficult to obtain. The photo below shows the nut which is circular with two flat sides (highlighted in red because they were difficult to see in the photo). The flat sides are about 1-3/4 inches apart but there is no way to get a wrench in there. The cartridge itself has a 17mm nut but the plumber said that by itself will not remove the cartridge.

I have not been able to find anything close to a tool that would remove the large two-sided nut so I'm wondering if the plumber is correct about the removal of this cartridge.

Attachments

• faucet_1.jpg
    faucet_1.jpg
    632.5 KB · Views: 0
  • faucet_2.jpg
    faucet_2.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 0
My shower is dripping and the volume control cartridge needs to be replaced. A plumber looked at it but said he couldn't fix it because the large nut requires a special tool which is difficult to obtain. The photo below shows the nut which is circular with two flat sides (highlighted in red because they were difficult to see in the photo). The flat sides are about 1-3/4 inches apart but there is no way to get a wrench in there. The cartridge itself has a 17mm nut but the plumber said that by itself will not remove the cartridge.

I have not been able to find anything close to a tool that would remove the large two-sided nut so I'm wondering if the plumber is correct about the removal of this cartridge.
moen gives them out free to plumbers , I have one

Can you provide me with the part number of the tool? If it doesn't have a part number, can you post a photo?

Latest posts

Back