Moen Tub Spout Installation with cracks between Ring and Spout

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Thomas

Reaction score
I just installed a new Moen Tub Spout 179101. When installing it, you see a white portion with caulking. Everytime I press down on the spout lightly, I can see the spout separate, and see hole edges between the ring and spout (see green box). Is this the way, Moen Tub spout is supposed to be installed, or did plumber not install it correctly? Pictures may be small, however edges and cracks do occur.

The concern is water leaking through, causing mold/mildew which can be a bigger problem.

https://www.moen.com/products/Monticello/Monticello_Diverter_tub_spout/179101
https://www.homedepot.com/p/MOEN-Decorative-Metal-Diverter-Tub-Spout-in-Chrome-179101/203183724

index.php

Last edited:
The spout is just connected to a piece of copper stubbing out from behind the wall, and is not meant to support any downward force. Outside of changing things behind the wall so it could take a threaded brass nipple, thats it.

The spout is just connected to a piece of copper stubbing out from behind the wall, and is not meant to support any downward force. Outside of changing things behind the wall so it could take a threaded brass nipple, thats it.

so thats the intentional design by Moen? seems like water can leak through causing mold/mildew, which would make things worse

How was the new spout attached?

Does it slip over a copper pipe, and lock on with a set screw?
That type is inherently wobbly.

Or does it spin onto a male threaded short pipe?

Either way, the new spout should be sitting tight against the back wall.
That outer ring or escutcheon is there to help maintain a seal and contact, with minor flexing.
But everything has to be tight and with no play, to begin with.
And everything should be sealed with clear silicone adhesive bath caulk.

Get the plumber back, he did a poor job, IMHO.

Or you bought a junky spout, and need to upgrade.

This MOEN Tub Spout is a slip fit that uses a hex screw to anchor it to the pipe. (5/32 hex key wrench.)

It has opening at bottom of tub spout to secure setscrew . This is for ½” CC coming from the wall.

Last edited:
Usually I agree with everything Jeff says but this is a slip fit spout and it just slides on the copper and then pushes
against the wall then tightened up and then its caulked. It might move a little, but when your taking a shower why would you be
pushing the spout down anyway. According to your pictures the spout looks to be installed correctly.
Sorry Jeff....

Last edited:
Here’s a trick that I have used for a long time. Over tighten the trim escutcheon for the valve. Then push the tub spout on and tighten it. When you’ve done that back the escutcheon screws off and that help “pull” the spout back a little bit and tighten it up. If you seal the hole in the fiberglass before you put the spout on you really won’t have and leak issues.

Usually I agree with everything Jeff says but this is a slip fit spout and it just slides on the copper and then pushes
against the wall then tightened up and then its caulked. It might move a little, but when your taking a shower why would you be
pushing the spout down anyway. According to your pictures the spout looks to be installed correctly.
Sorry Jeff....

usually when I pull the spout diverter up or down, I saw the crack, I can see it getting larger everyday, that was my concern, thanks

TomF I was saying that the install of this inherently wobbly slip fit spout was done poorly.
And people will pull up on the diverter to start the shower, and push down on the diverter to end the shower, both times this will often move the whole spout a little bit.

That is why I never install copper stub outs.

A threaded ell screwed to framing, and then a brass nipple are rock solid.
It takes some trial and error to get the nipple or a pair of nipples and a coupling to just the right length, but worth the effort.
On some threaded spouts, the threads are right near the wall.
Others are pretty far inside.

I agree with RenewDave, it needs to be tighter against the wall, and I don’t see any clear silicone caulk behind or around the escutcheon, which would stabilize it as best as possible.

Meanwhile, no need to say sorry, maybe I am totally wrong here, I am not a pro plumber so my take on this might be way off.

The way you do it would be the strongest way . When you buy a Moen faucet they always send a slip fit spout.

Back