Moen Shower/Bath replacement problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwhitmore

Reaction score
My home was built in 1987. I'm remodeling the master bath. I have removed all the tile and due to some damage found, I've removed the old backer board. The shower/bath unit is an old Moen Chateau unit with a standard valve. I want to replace the trim with something besides Chrome, maybe bronze.

Since I have never soldered pipes and do not have the equipment, I really do not want to replace my valve. I know there is a Moen Moentrol adapter I can buy allowing me to use a Moentrol trim with my standard valve.

My question is, how long do the valves last? In 5 years when the old valve dies will I regret not replacing the valve when was easily accessible. Later I will have nice tile between me and the valve.

Moen is a very good valve but like all things they don't last forever. I would advise you to replace the valve. With the wall opened there will never be a better time to do it. If your not sure of being able to solder, the cost to hire a plumber would be a good investment.

John, thanks for your thoughts.

If I do replace the valve, I assume I then have many options as to which brand and type of valve to use. I would appreciate your and others thoughts as to which type and brand I should go with.

Also tips on tools to use for the soldering and tips on how to solder.

OP,
IMO, when it comes to plumbing buried in the wall, the best is barely good enough. Add to that make sure that replacement parts are available in-stock locally and then choose. I have no issues with Moen and parts are available at the HD about 10 minutes away.

I have a "dumb" question. The old "standard" valves seem very simple compared to the newer valves. What can break on the "standard" valves. If it is just brass, seems like little can break. I'm afraid that playing with old pipes to replace the valve might cause as many or more problems. Thanks

I"m about to make my decision regarding keeping the old valve in or replacing the valve. I would really appreciate anybody's thoughts especially regarding my last post regarding what would "break" on my old standard valve. I have attached two photos. I hate to do solder work if I do not have to.

Valve1.jpg

valve2.jpg

In my opinion, I like to work with Moen, I find their products are well made, durable, offer great warranty and parts are found easily at many popular home improvement stores. When asked, I advise my clients to buy or stay with Moen products. My opinion would be to not replace the shower valve if you do not feel comfortable soldering water supply lines. Replace the cartridge (which could be a Moen 1 handle cartridge #1225) and visit your local home improvement stores or visit Moen online, view their catalogue and find a style of finish faceplates/trim you like that is compatible with your existing shower valve.

In my opinion, I like to work with Moen, I find their products are well made, durable, offer great warranty and parts are found easily at many popular home improvement stores. When asked, I advise my clients to buy or stay with Moen products. My opinion would be to not replace the shower valve if you do not feel comfortable soldering water supply lines. Replace the cartridge (which could be a Moen 1 handle cartridge #1225) and visit your local home improvement stores or visit Moen online, view their catalogue and find a style of finish faceplates/trim you like that is compatible with your existing shower valve.

Are you aware that that valve would not pass code? Valves that are used for showers must be anti-scald.

Great point. If the old existing shower valve will not pass code than certainly the valve should be replaced to meet code and prevent scalding temperatures at the shower, ahead of time. Even more reason to do so IMO if the home does not have a mixing valve at the hot water tank, which the home should have one also. Have the old shower valve replaced to a new anti-scalding shower valve by a local qualified professional.

I'm not a plumber, but I have to say that this is one case where I do think you should actually hire one. I know that may seem expensive, but let's say you do it yourself and mess it up. Then you might have to hire someone to come fix it and it might cost even more. Better safe than sorry.

I wouldn't want you to be injured or cause damage to something when attempting to solder if you are not confident in your soldering abilities.

If you insist on soldering, please make sure that you practice on some scrap or something first to make sure you have the technique down.

That said, I still think you should go with a professional. Its possible that a licensed professional may actually be required in order for that work to be done legally, but I'm not certain what the rules are where you live.

Thanks for everyone's input. I think I have found a friend who is a plumber who can do the soldering for me and also teach me.

Thanks for everyone's input. I think I have found a friend who is a plumber who can do the soldering for me and also teach me.

Excellent! Let us know how it goes please.

Back