Moen Posi-temp No Water New Construction

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guarrac1no

Reaction score
Let me start by saying, I'm handy, but not a plumber. I recently finished my basement, including a full bath myself. Everything is closed up and now I have no water at my shower head. I know I should have tested this before closing everything up.

I installed the Moen 2590 Posi-Temp valve. I am using PEX + Sharkbite. I plugged the tub outlet with a brass plug. Here is a (blurry) picture from the install:

IMG_8C1E5D99233D-1.jpeg

Now that everything is closed up, I pulled the cartridge and flushed both the hot and cold with seemingly equal pressure on both sides.

• I have both valves open completely.
  • I opened the stops so that they are horizontal to the floor.
  • I played with the stops to see if I had unequal pressure, with no luck.
  • I removed the shower head and shower arm to ensure there were no blocks and the screen was clean.
  • I replaced the cartridge to ensure that wasn't blocked.
The only other things I can think are 1) the valve is bad or 2) there is a blockage somewhere between the stops and the shower arm. Appreciate your help!

IMG_1279.jpg

You took the yellow membrane off the drop ear for the shower, right?
Do you have separate shutoffs accessible just for the water supply lines for the shower? If so, maybe they are off?
You probably already thought of those things, but I wanted to ask just in case.

Ask Moen for a replacement cartridge. tell them your story. Before you do:
With the cartridge removed and stops closed, run pressurized water from the shower arm down into the valve to check that pathway.

Some service stops are fully open when the slot is horizontal.
Others have a wider range of twist from closed to open.
Check the Moen site for info on how your stops operate.

Pull the cartridge and open screwdriver stops to see if the stops work . Water should spray out of faucet body . Like others have said try and run water back through shower arm into faucet body . Sounds like faucet body did not get machined properly or something is lodged in pipe between faucet body and shower arm flange .

Thanks all. I have already replaced the cartridge and confirmed I have water at both sides by closing stops, removing cartridge and opening stops.

I will try to put pressure through the shower arm to see if it comes through the empty cartridge slot.

Sorry for the delay, I was waiting for a part to come in. The valve is installed correctly. The pressure test showed the valve wasn't properly machined as no water came through the valve cartridge slot. is this common?

Thanks everyone for your help.

How are you going to swap in a new valve?

Can you get to it from cutting an access on the back side?

Yes I have to cut an access in the backside. It's a bummer because it is finished. Moen is getting back to me on what they will do.

It isn't common, but Murphy's 66th corrilary states very clearly, if somebody is going to get a fuc***d up valve body, it will be the person who didn't do a trial flow test.
We use a hose bibb at the shower stub to test under closed and open conditions.

You may want to consider putting an access panel where you have to cut the wall open. It can be painted to match the wall &/or covered with artwork.

Back