Moen faucet dripping

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thibs

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help me with this one. We replaced an old American Standard shower faucet with a Moen 3520 valve and T3291 Trim.

I was about to start drywalling the wall up when I noticed water dripping from the screws... A few days went by and I noticed that water is also occasionally dripping under he stop tube.

I contacted Moen and they gave me new parts. I replaced the escutcheon, screws, stop tube and even the cartridge. It still leaks around the screws and the stop tube.

When replaced the parts, I did notice that the stop tube always moves when the faucet handle is turned. This could explain why it leaks sometimes around the stop tube as there is a gap of a few millimetres between the stop tube and the gasket when handle turned all the way. On some occasions I can see light coming thru from the other side! (window on other side of wall) How can this NOT leak?!

So, even after changing the parts ( screws are tight) it still leaks from the screws and on occasion from around the stop tube.

Moen says they don't know why it drips and have never seen this. We are considering getting rid of it and going with another brand. Before we do that, I thought I would give this forum a try.

Has anyone seen anything like this, or know what might be happening?

Hate to say it but if water is coming from that body and not your solder joints then moen needs to send you
a new faucet body.

Thanks for the replies. I did change the cartridge.

I failed to mention in my original post that it drips/leaks only when we are using the shower. Water also seems to drip more when washing hair, as more water gets sprayed onto the wall when rinsing hair. Thanks again.

Yes, when someone else is showering I stand in front and see the water drops coming from the screws...very odd. And, once in a while drip around the stop tube seal... :(

If you run the shower with no one in there does it leak. If not then you might have a caulking problem. Caulk
good around the faucet and the tub spout. If it does then you need to turn it on and get in the back of the faucet
and try to see where its coming from.

Can’t be a “valve” problem. If this leaks only when the valve is on you have to be able to isolate it. It’s either from the shore riser or from deflection from the person in the shower. Be a good detective and you’ll find the source. I’m a “Moen guy”. I have put in over a thousand Moen valves and they are a solid product. Let gravity be your friend, start at the shower head and work your way down. I bough a little wireless camera online that works well in walls(cheap). Try that. You’ll find it.

Hi there,
Just wanted to post an update. The back of the shower is not in a high traffic area so I left the wall open to see what happens over time.

It has been more than a year and glad to report that there is no major leak or drip. But, I do want to mention that there is definitely a drip around the screws and the stop tube. I've attached a picture to show where it drips/leaks. This happens pretty much after every shower. I can only assume at this point that it is designed to not be bullet proof and that there is a level of acceptable dripping. I guess that is why there is a hole at the bottom of the escutcheon... Thanks everyone.

faucet.jpg

Attachments

• faucet.jpg
    faucet.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
I sure don't buy that "designed to leak" philosophy. I'm a Moen guy also (but nowhere near 1000 installs), and have never seen this.

Both Delta and Moen have used various "gasket" materials at their sleeves.
Those materials break down for sure.
Mostly, we see the newer valves use an O ring except at the perimiter of the plate where they still use gaskets that seep.
The screw holes are insignificant.

I consider Moen products to be of high quality, but no product is absolutely guaranteed to be perfect every time. I wonder if it could be a small defect in the casting of the body, such that it only leaks when the valve is open, putting pressure on that part. I have encountered such defects in other cast brass products, and they can be difficult to see.

Latest posts

Back