mobile home shower valve help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can buy a seat wrench kit at a supply house I think there are 3 double ended wrenches and a ratchet wrench to loosen and tighten
They’re too fat, the seat is too deep.

The square one is tapered. So it won’t fit into the seat, it gets too big before it engages.

None of these will work.
1BA3C38B-4BF9-43B5-82D6-CB529F5AE2D2.jpeg

Last edited:
Last edited:
yes i understand. if those parts you sent me turn out to be what i need based on the companies best guess i will make a tool from the new parts and then see what i get in the old parts. but if all that does it strip out i will then have no choice but to try and drill them and then punch out the side or even break them off and then work what is left at the threaded area. not being a plumber i will have to figure this out but being in machine repair for 40 years and removing more than my share of broken bolts if i run into that situation then i will have to do what i have to do. and yes it may come down to replacing the complete unit. but if i have replacement parts i'm betting i can get them out one way or another and then install new parts and be good to go. right now i'm waiting on both those companies you sent me to see if they have the parts and get them on order. thanks

yes i understand. if those parts you sent me turn out to be what i need based on the companies best guess i will make a tool from the new parts and then see what i get in the old parts. but if all that does it strip out i will then have no choice but to try and drill them and then punch out the side or even break them off and then work what is left at the threaded area. not being a plumber i will have to figure this out but being in machine repair for 40 years and removing more than my share of broken bolts if i run into that situation then i will have to do what i have to do. and yes it may come down to replacing the complete unit. but if i have replacement parts i'm betting i can get them out one way or another and then install new parts and be good to go. right now i'm waiting on both those companies you sent me to see if they have the parts and get them on order. thanks
I posted a link to the tool that should work and the same people have the parts. Locke plumbing supplies.

If it strips then I posted another link to a tool, fine reverse thread easy out. They’re available from various places. Use it only if the old seat strips out.

Ok I’m done, I’m starting to repeat myself. good luck with it. ✌️

They won’t fit long 1/4” square seats, trailer home or not.

We have a lot of these Elger faucets in my area that have a long deep seat that a 1/4” square wrench fits. This is when I first encountered “ nothing fits it “.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1442912511...MIubb84c6q-QIV7yitBh3r1AydEAQYJSABEgKSrvD_BwE
thanks but i wonder if that one will fit. it is already a inch to long for overall length. now that may not hurt as the handle can cover that but the treads do not look quite the same. the streamway looks to be the best match. later today i'm going to send them another email if they fail to get back to me by noon. i had ferguson on the phone and they gave me an email address so i sent photos and they never replied. i had to resend it with a do you reply to these emails to get there attention. and of course they did not help. so i may have to email them a few times.

if that ebay seller would take returns i may give that one a try but 20$ for 2 stems to test is not in the cards.
thanks

thanks but i wonder if that one will fit. it is already a inch to long for overall length. now that may not hurt as the handle can cover that but the treads do not look quite the same. the streamway looks to be the best match. later today i'm going to send them another email if they fail to get back to me by noon. i had ferguson on the phone and they gave me an email address so i sent photos and they never replied. i had to resend it with a do you reply to these emails to get there attention. and of course they did not help. so i may have to email them a few times.

if that ebay seller would take returns i may give that one a try but 20$ for 2 stems to test is not in the cards.
thanks
I’m not suggesting that stem. I was showing Geof that other seats besides trailer home seats use a long 1/4” seat wrench that the 3pack wrench kit won’t remove.

Good luck with your project. Goodbye ✌️

I’m not suggesting that stem. I was showing Geof that other seats besides trailer home seats use a long 1/4” seat wrench that the 3pack wrench kit won’t remove.

Good luck with your project. Goodbye ✌️
ok thanks it looked like you were suggesting an ebay listing for me also, but i'm still waiting on streamway to get back to me. but i'm thinking that link for the kit will work it looks like the threads are the same and the seats from what i could see from looking at the ones in this faucet should work. it would be nice if it came with all the seats shown in that listing so i would have a choice for a better fit. but if it only comes with 1 set of seats then i will pick the longer seats and then make them fit.
thanks

ok towwaxhack locke plumbing sent this to me for seat removal what do you think based on the seats are 1/4" id and maybe 1 1/2" long and a bit deeper in the area i need to work.
so if i get these i guess i can drill into a block of wood or maybe steel the size of that hex wrench and then see how far these will fit down into that hole and if the these will not fit deep enough i can grind the shanks down so i can fit them into those seats. and hope they come out so i can at least get the wall thickness and the total length and the thread size etc?

so i guess if they break off i will have to rip into the wall and just install 1/4 turn valves and shut off the shower and get another valve unit and just install a new one. i'm kind of between the rock and a hard place at this point.

Locke 08-0403 Crown Ratcheting Faucet Seat Wrenches

https://secure.lockeplumbing.com/detail.asp?c=Tools&s=Faucet Tools&s2= &sku=KIS-08-043&r1=WHE-USS25C

Attachments

• KIS-08-043.jpg
    KIS-08-043.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 0
I’d buy the tools I posted links to.

Then I’d buy the two longest sets of seats listed in the link with the stem. One of the two sets will be correct.

If they say one of those seat wrenches in that kit fits the seats we are looking at them I’d have them verify it fits before they ship.

Unless something’s changed, I’m saying the wrench kit won’t fit.

I'd bite the bullet and replace all that "trailer trash" and replace with conventional, easy to find, plumbing parts.

(I too have a vacation trailer. I don't mean to sound condescending, but I know what you are up against, and finding these modified, shorter throw, stubby parts are a pain in the tail. I first discovered this when Itried replacing a simple door knob. Yep, smaller, shorter crap. I pulled the doors and moulding and replaced with a conventional house door, with house door knobs, and never looked back.

I'd bite the bullet and replace all that "trailer trash" and replace with conventional, easy to find, plumbing parts.

(I too have a vacation trailer. I don't mean to sound condescending, but I know what you are up against, and finding these modified, shorter throw, stubby parts are a pain in the tail. I first discovered this when Itried replacing a simple door knob. Yep, smaller, shorter crap. I pulled the doors and moulding and replaced with a conventional house door, with house door knobs, and never looked back.
It’s really simple if people would just listen. And I’m not trying to be rude…..

But yeah, In hindsight, I should’ve just said “ replace it “ .

I find that most people think they know way more than I do about faucets. I just listen and smile, then walk away.

It’s really simple if people would just listen. And I’m not trying to be rude…..

But yeah, In hindsight, I should’ve just said “ replace it “ .

I find that most people think they know way more than I do about faucets. I just listen and smile, then walk away.
thanks and i agree to replace it but it is not that easy to get to. but it kind of looks like that will be the best approach to the job. i'm betting that if i start to take that seat out it will break and then i'm up against the wall in having to bust my butt getting it fixed so they have water.
so i'm going to suggest to them to let me just replace the complete system. i see an ebay faucet complete with shower head and tub spout and the excitons for cheaper than the parts for this one.
then i have to cut into the outside wall and then figure a patch for that . but at least it will be new and replacement parts around. they also have the same faucet in the back shower and then i have this one out and i may then be able to find parts that fit this so they will fit that one down the road?

so thanks for the help even though for this job it is almost impossible to do without seeing it.

so twowaxhack because they live in a mobile home park i asked the park if i could take the outside wall and install an access point to get into the area to just install a new valve and they said if i do i have to install a factory type access door. that is like 300$ on top of the repair for the shower valve parts that may cost 25$ i may get a seat removal tool kit and see if i can get that seat out to take it to the plumbing shop and see if they have parts?
thanks

Access doors can be made or purchased for $25.
send me a link for a 25$ door please? i guess i can build a panel but the park has to approve it so they told me. and i do not want to get this deep into a free repair. if i could find the seats and stems that would be the best approach. but i may have to go thru the outside wall. the guy wants me to cut into the tub wall and install a new system and then patch the wall, i told him i was not going to do that but if he cut the wall then i would change out the faucet and he can put the wall back in. this is a one pc unit so he would be cutting the fibreglass out. it would be better to go thru the outside wall but the park has to approve that for him. so if you have a link for an access door for 25$ please send that to me and i will jump on that in a heartbeat. now not one that is 12"x12" i have to get into this about 18" deep it will be a bit hard to work thru a 12" hole and install a shower unit. thanks

Latest posts

Back