Mobile Home Shower Drain Strainer Stuck

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMayo

Reaction score
During use, the shower pan in my manufactured home collects 2-3 inches of water, which then drains all at once with a big gurgling/sucking sound before the process repeats. The drain has always been a bit slow but the sucking sound is new. I think I can see some muck under the strainer and would like to remove it and make sure at least that part of the drain is clear, but the strainer seems to be stuck.

I've seen some YouTube videos where the strainer has been thoroughly mangled when people have pried them out of there and I'd prefer not to bend mine up (and I certainly don't want to damage the drain itself), but I'm pretty sure the strainer is just friction-fit and should pry up. Does anyone have any suggestions for removing that strainer without tearing it (or the drain) up?

Shower-Drain.jpg

Sounds like you have a sagging pipe and when the shower fills up it flushes like a toilet.

The strainer probably just pops out.

Sounds like you have a sagging pipe and when the shower fills up it flushes like a toilet.
The strainer probably just pops out.

I wound up spraying WD40 around the outside of the strainer. After letting it sit for a few minutes, I got a little more determined with a small screwdriver and managed to pry it out without damaging anything.

Regarding the "flushing," I found three flexible metallic seals from medicated shampoo bottles lying loose under the strainer, and they were blocking maybe 1/3 of the drain basket. I removed them and the pan is no longer filling when the shower runs. Fingers crossed, but I think I got it squared away.

Latest posts

Back