Mist system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
On the BBQ and patio I am building I would like to install a mist system. Is there any kits or place I can get the parts to put it together? I get's above 100 most of the summer and it would be nice to cool it down a few degrees.

Make your own system. This way it will look custom and look cleaner than the store bought mist systems. I installed a custom system at my Havasu house that wraps around 70' of patio. I used 1/2" PVC and placed the nozzles about 7' apart from each other. You can use plastic electrical conduit clamps to install it to your edging.

Make sure your actual nozzles are brass and clean them often. One important element is to install a good pre-filter and change it every season, or you might have everything coated in white after a few months from the calcium. I also installed a ball valve at the end of the line, which allows the pipe to be emptied quickly so as to avoid water dripping for hours after the system is shut down.

As far as the brass nozzles, you can purchase them at most big box hardware stores, and are screwed into 1/2" PVC slip/slip fittings.

On the BBQ and patio I am building I would like to install a mist system. Is there any kits or place I can get the parts to put it together? I get's above 100 most of the summer and it would be nice to cool it down a few degrees.

I own a company that caters to these products but I recommend Aero-Mist.

Ask for Niko. I plan on buying from this company for my upcoming summer.

I don't want to come across as the voice of doom, but I bought a cheap system, installed it (the nozzles were brass though) and in a few days all but one of the nozzles were plugged up with hard water. I have about 15 grains of hardness and very low iron content. I guess if your have soft water to hook one to, it would last a little longer. I also bought the inline filter they suggested and that didn't help a bit. (I never liked those things anyway) I also bought a little bottle of the liquid they sold to clean the nozzles. Don't waste your money.

In my limited opinion, this is a great idea if you don't mind doing the maintenance. They do drop the temp about 10° but you will get wet before long.

Make your own system. This way it will look custom and look cleaner than the store bought mist systems. I installed a custom system at my Havasu house that wraps around 70' of patio. I used 1/2" PVC and placed the nozzles about 7' apart from each other. You can use plastic electrical conduit clamps to install it to your edging.

Make sure your actual nozzles are brass and clean them often. One important element is to install a good pre-filter and change it every season, or you might have everything coated in white after a few months from the calcium. I also installed a ball valve at the end of the line, which allows the pipe to be emptied quickly so as to avoid water dripping for hours after the system is shut down.

As far as the brass nozzles, you can purchase them at most big box hardware stores, and are screwed into 1/2" PVC slip/slip fittings.

Thanks I may end up doing the same. Where did you get your nozzles? I already have pipe and ball valves. I do waterworks for a living (Like a plumber but with the big stuff)

I own a company that caters to these products but I recommend Aero-Mist.

Ask for Niko. I plan on buying from this company for my upcoming summer.

I will look into aero-mist thanks for the info.

I don't want to come across as the voice of doom, but I bought a cheap system, installed it (the nozzles were brass though) and in a few days all but one of the nozzles were plugged up with hard water. I have about 15 grains of hardness and very low iron content. I guess if your have soft water to hook one to, it would last a little longer. I also bought the inline filter they suggested and that didn't help a bit. (I never liked those things anyway) I also bought a little bottle of the liquid they sold to clean the nozzles. Don't waste your money.

In my limited opinion, this is a great idea if you don't mind doing the maintenance. They do drop the temp about 10° but you will get wet before long.

I have heard this alot but I am still willing to take a chance, What do you think about taking the nozzles off and soaking them in something like CLR every now and then? Do you think that would work? Also maybe what Havasu says about draining the line when you are not using it will help with the build up.

I have heard this alot but I am still willing to take a chance, What do you think about taking the nozzles off and soaking them in something like CLR every now and then? Do you think that would work? Also maybe what Havasu says about draining the line when you are not using it will help with the build up.
Chris is offline Report Post

Draining the pipe will keep it from dripping after being shut off. I know mine did the same thing. Seems like it would never quit dripping.

I have never had any luck with CLR. I have had people tell me how great it is, but it just doesn't work for me. Maybe Vinegar for the calcium/magnesium, Muriatic for sulphur, Iron out for iron etc.

All I know for sure is that it didn't take me long to tear the whole mess down out of frustration and throw it into the garbage.

They drop the temperature anywhere from 10-30 degrees, all dictated by humidity, sunlight, ambient temperature, wind speed. The best application is against buildings where the sunlight is beating off the brick or concrete, or large paved areas where the sun is reflecting, including roofs.

The "quality" of these systems are all dictated on the cost of product and pressures involved. If you spent less than $100 on mist line then you'll get slightly above a wet mist.

The systems I operate are high pressure with 3 different filtrations before it leads to the nozzle itself.

I run ceramic/stainless steel nozzles as they above the line in quality, longer lasting.

A true misting system will run into the hundreds which most are reluctant to spend. http://www.aeromist.com/

Anything that operates off of the water pressure of a home only will be a wet mist all the way.

High pressure misting involves micro-misting and in relation to the sun, flash evaporation is created.

In this video,

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq9XbgUfXok]Example of Misting[/ame]

the girl and the dog I'm speaking to is not getting wet, and she's less than 6 feet from the misting fan.

That pump is running at 750psi through 6 nozzles in combination with a 7800 cfm fan.

If you look at the top of the screen you see at the front opening of the tent a mist line dropping mist to the entrance. People absolutely loved the comfort it created.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yquWRdZsvHg"]Here's a $19.99 answer[/ame]

Draining the pipe will keep it from dripping after being shut off. I know mine did the same thing. Seems like it would never quit dripping.
I have never had any luck with CLR. I have had people tell me how great it is, but it just doesn't work for me. Maybe Vinegar for the calcium/magnesium, Muriatic for sulphur, Iron out for iron etc.

All I know for sure is that it didn't take me long to tear the whole mess down out of frustration and throw it into the garbage.

The quality systems incorporate no-drip nozzles which are spring loaded and instantly seal off when the required pressure stops.

Brass nozzles are fine, but not for long term uses. I however had brass nozzles last 10 years under a deck, used it year to year and just replaced nozzles when they stopped flowing. Cheap like $3.40 a nozzle.

The filters I use on my systems are more dense than a cigarrette filter, has to be to protect the pump system and all the components.

Last edited:
Before installing the ball valve drain, my lines would constantly drip and become clogged with calcium. After installation of the drain valve, I only have to clean the brass maybe once a season.

I've also used their recommended expensive bottle of mist nozzle cleaner, which I found was junk. I remove the screw in nozzles, place them in a small coffee cup, and use white vinegar to soak them for a few hours. That seems to work pretty well.

Another plus of the ball valve is when I turn on the system, I allow the line to flush for a minute, which allows the dried calcium to purge out of the line before closing it. This allows a longer usage between cleanings.

Also, as stated before, the brass nozzles can be purchased at most bog box hardware stores.

Keep in mind that mist systems work best with very low humidity situations. In high humidity, you will see that your patio furniture will become wet and just as uncomfortable as with not using the misters.

Last edited:
They drop the temperature anywhere from 10-30 degrees, all dictated by humidity, sunlight, ambient temperature, wind speed.
It would seem to me that it would be rather expensive running ice water through these nozzles.

If I am going to spend that kind of money on one of these systems, I'll just go inside to the AC.

"40FT Stainless Steel Misting System Special Price: $1235.00"

It would seem to me that it would be rather expensive running ice water through these nozzles.

If I am going to spend that kind of money on one of these systems, I'll just go inside to the AC.

"40FT Stainless Steel Misting System Special Price: $1235.00"

The same mentality when people extensively spend on private water systems,

eventually switch to city water and it ends that costly misery of constant spending through bladder tanks, pumps, well issues.

Stainless steel denotes a one time purchase in that product choice, unlike many components found in water distribution systems as I well know both sides of that equation.

The same mentality when people extensively spend on private water systems,

eventually switch to city water and it ends that costly misery of constant spending through bladder tanks, pumps, well issues.

If you do a little research, I think you will find that a private water system will cost far less year after year than city water does.

It's a given that if your stupid enough to keep buying your pumps and tanks from Sears, Big Box stores etc that you will spend more in the long run, but with good equipment properly set up by a knowledgeable service man, it will cost far less than city water. Then if you want to see a very large improvement in costs, add in the irrigation costs from Well water to City water.

Well I have decided I will build my own low end mist set up. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something I only use now and then. I will keep you guys updated as I go. Like said before if it is that bad outside I will just go back inside. I have not had one in the past so as long as it takes that edge off it is ok with me. When I get closer to the time I will be puting it up I will probably have a few questions but thanks for all your replies so far.

If you do a little research, I think you will find that a private water system will cost far less year after year than city water does.

Are you a licensed master plumber like myself that gets calls to switch to public water systems, people glad to have ended the constant worry of

Pressure Switch Failures

Bladder Tank Failures

Pump Failures

Foot or Check Valve Failures

Constant Well Problems

Water Quality Issues

Filter Replacements

Cistern Cleaning

Water Purchasing (when rainfalls are low)

People just want water, not all the random cost surprises that private systems always offer. People want to get away from anything that costs money in such a way that disrupts a constant.

I'll tell you: You start talking about products like these (mist systems) thinking that since you deal with pumps, you know enough to knock it. The difference is you don't understand it enough to even have a valid comment.

Stick to what you know like I have all these years and it will prevent you from getting removed everywhere you go.

I am actually trying to help you out, but you self-destruct everywhere you go. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
So how did my mist system thread get turned into a debate about city/Private water? I am not interested in any sort of pumps or wells or anything other than a simple mist system that will get me a couple degrees cooler while I enjoy my drink of choice.

Please no more personal attacks.

Chris,

Set up your misters as I previously described and you should have no problems at all.

So how did my mist system thread get turned into a debate about city/Private water? I am not interested in any sort of pumps or wells or anything other than a simple mist system that will get me a couple degrees cooler while I enjoy my drink of choice.

Please no more personal attacks.

Well, I'm here for the love of the trade (plumbing) and the other is here to sell product.

I call my desire very honorable and I tend to bring tons of page views and intense plumbing discussions.

Sing it!

"Cuz Ima Plumbah man! Doin' what not to many can. Plumbah man!"

Chris,

Set up your misters as I previously described and you should have no problems at all.

I will probably go that route, thanks for the info.

Well, I'm here for the love of the trade (plumbing) and the other is here to sell product.

I call my desire very honorable and I tend to bring tons of page views and intense plumbing discussions.

Sing it!

"Cuz Ima Plumbah man! Doin' what not to many can. Plumbah man!"

It's got a good ring to it.:D

We are all here to bring knowledge and discussion and if nobody disagreed with anyone else what fun would we have.;)

I am actually trying to help you out, but you self-destruct everywhere you go. lol

That's your opinion Dunbar, and several other Forum handles. You have been ragging on me for several years now on many Forums. You are one of those types that think it's a sin to sell things over the Internet. I don't know what your problem is with it, but you have always objected to it. One thing I'm not doing is blowing my own horn. I enjoy helping people fix problems with their well water systems (which is obvious you know little if anything about). I also don't mind selling a product in the process. I'm not pushy or flashy about it, but that is how I make my living.

Now if you seriously think City Water is cheaper than A water well, pump etc, keep thinking that. It's not my fault you don't know how to properly install one that will give years of service. As a matter of fact, you might be the reason so many people switch over because of your incompetence in the Water Well field. You stick to plumbing and I'll stick to what I know.

You started this, I'm willing to let it die here, how about you?

Back