Metal Plate in Garage Floor

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 31536

Reaction score
Does anyone know what this is for? My garage is attached to the house. I’m looking to refinish the garage so I want to figure out the purpose of these pipes.

Attachments

• IMG_2817.jpeg
    IMG_2817.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2818.jpeg
    IMG_2818.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
With a S on the box I would assume it’s the sewer.

No idea why they wouldn’t have caps on them.

Flush the toilets and listen, you might hear water if it’s the sewer

Does anyone know what this is for? My garage is attached to the house. I’m looking to refinish the garage so I want to figure out the purpose of these pipes.
Is there a floor drain nearby ?that could be an oil separator?

Lots of tool rental houses & some electrical supply houses have underground tracers (cable locators) that will find the path of the pipes for you. Often used locators show up on Bonanza or eBay for under 100.00 USD. Try searching for "Wire Locator", "Cable Locator" or "Dynatel".

If the pipes are metal, simply clamp the detector's lead on or around the pipe. If they are plastic, push a metal snake or even electrician's fish tape in to one pipe at a time and clamp to that. Use the rental tracer to find where it travels. That should reveal the pipes' purposes.

If there is no mesh or rebar in the slab, a hobby metal detector will trace the pipes, too.

Are they grey PVC? (Can't tell from photo.) If so, they might be for lawn sprinkler or outdoor lighting. Just Guessing.

Paul

Back