May have a drain field problem - how to proceed

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swish377

Reaction score
I have two manufactured home rentals that were tied to a 1500 gal septic tank about 1990. Property owner of 25+ years did not take care of the system and only pumped when a tenant called about it backing up. Red clay looking soil. If there was a perc test done in 1990 it is blank on the county inspection sheet.

Fall 2019 lots of rain. Liquid leaves from septic tank cover. I didn’t get it pumped right then as septic folks explain with all the rain everyone has this problem so unknown if drain fields a problem or just the over abundance of rain.

Tenant in Apr 2020 we find out the waste pipe becomes completely blocked – 9” to 12” length of grease in the 3 or 4” diameter pipe. April 2020 pump tank since it was so high. I don’t renew grease tenant’s lease she leaves in May. Empty for 4 months while rehab house so only 2 people of other house using tank ; all seems ok no leaking out of tank. Sep 2020 Single tenant w/job that keeps him away often that was good no issues. But he leaves and now:

Couple w/3 yr old in the house, ever since then water starts leaking out of tank again in particular she notices when doing laundry. In house: gurgling sounds, smell. Pump tank again Mar 2021. House happy – only for a week – water is up to the top of septic tank again.

Here’s my problem: County inspector says if the drain field fails then I can’t just put new pipes on the same spot, it has to be a new spot. Then I can’t have 2 homes on one tank these days to I’d have to get another tank and that means TWO whole drain fields in areas that are not already used by the existing lines. I don’t even know if there’s enough land to do that even if I could afford it. This property (more than just these homes) has been a nightmare of repair, all we do is put $ in. If I have to fix this situation I have no idea how much it will cost and we’ve just spend a bundle fixing up these 2 homes and if I have to remove tenants because the septic tank no longer works then obviously I’m losing rent that I need to pay back all these repairs. I am in an even worse situation if I have a septic drain problem. And especially permits, etc.

Two people dug down in two spots about a foot long to see if there were obvious roots in these pipes (there are some trees near the lines that are a good size now) but they got to the point where there is water in the trenches. Does that mean the pipes; holes are not blocked since there is water in the trenches? Or is it a sign the soil doesn’t drain? I called a soil company but they (and all around) are backed up 8-10 weeks so probably won’t know anything about percolation any time soon. The diggers see roots but can’t tell if they are in the pipes at least in those spots since the water covers the pipes. (think they are clay pipes)

How much, if any, would be reasonable to DIY to save money? Should I rent one of those small backhoes and expose all the pipes to see what it looks like? Is that too risky to break pipes having just helpful diggers and not experienced septic tank people?

Or should I get septic people to do jetting of the lines as a first step to see if it solves this?

If the jetting doesn’t solve the problem should I get the drain field all dug up to see if there are roots going into the lines? If you can fix what exists then you don’t need a permit, right?

If I need replacement drain fields would using leach chambers be good since I may not have enough land to have long pipes for 2 new drain fields? The land seems relatively flat in this area between the homes.

Sorry for so many questions I am desperate to figure out how best to solve this most efficiently. I know you won’t have a perfect answer w/o seeing in person but if you can recommend the steps I should take or what might help that would be great. Thanks so much for advice, obviously I am a newbie about septic systems and I am in distress.

Attachments

• distance to one home.jpg
    distance to one home.jpg
    449.5 KB · Views: 3
  • U11-12 digging7.jpg
    U11-12 digging7.jpg
    530.7 KB · Views: 3
  • woods are not my property.jpg
    woods are not my property.jpg
    635.9 KB · Views: 4
  • distance to 2nd home deck is visible.jpg
    distance to 2nd home deck is visible.jpg
    762.8 KB · Views: 4
Was your tank inspected when it was pumped? Maybe a baffle tee is damaged.

On the April 2020 pumping they say they confirmed the baffle tee exists and was ok. But they did not give me a picture so I only have their comment not a 2nd set of eyes. If I recall correctly this tank is one chamber, not two.

It sounds to me like you need a mound system, or maybe 2 of them. That's what's most common in our area, and yes, they're very expensive

Make sure you do not have any water continuously entering the tank from rain or a leak from one of the mobile homes.

You need to remove the laundry drains from the septic system and let them discharge elsewhere if possible into their own dedicated field.

Require high efficiency washing machines to be used on the property.

Low flow shower heads and aerators. Low flow everything.......

Grade the area over the drain field to divert rainwater away from the field with lightweight equipment and cover with sod.

Some recommend adding a aerated basin between the tank outlet and the drain field to breed beneficial bacteria to help the field eat the biomat which can seal the bottom of the field like a pond bottom.

This isn’t an exhaustive list of things to try but it’s a good start.

The less interaction with the inspector the better unless you want to replace it all or have an inspector that is willing to let you experiment a little.

Cross your fingers and hope might help ? Good luck 👍

Back