Max Water Pressure Only On Hot

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiktaalik89

Reaction score
Hi! The water pressure in my shower only comes to full when the shower handle is turned all the way to max hot. Once I turn it down from there the water pressure drops dramatically. Any advice on what do? Thank you kindly!
Faucet brand is Valley. 3E74844F-EC55-4689-A4F4-1355464A34FD.jpeg

You need to replace the cartridge, or the rubber seats and springs.

It depends on what style of old valve you have there.

I think Valley is out of business, but other companies still sell matching parts.

Pop the little cover button off of the plastic handle, use a knife to get under the edge, then remove the screw inside, and take off the handle.

Put a wet rag over the drain, so nothing falls down into it.

Post a pic of what you find behind that handle.

If you have zero plumbing experience, find a friend or neighbor who has experience, or maybe you should just call a plumber.

Thank you for the info! So I got the cartridge and started to pull it out. Unfortunately, the top portion of the cartridge snapped off from the rest of the body. Any tips on how to get the rest of the body out of the pipe? I'll post a pic tomorrow. Below is a pic of what the cartridge looks like from what I can tell.

Attachments

• 1263EC89-2484-428E-A811-C4734B59659D.jpeg
    1263EC89-2484-428E-A811-C4734B59659D.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 1
It depends on what is left in there.

Needle nose pliers.

A flat screwdriver jammed into a recess, then twisted.

The jaws of channel lock type pliers that can grab any exposed flat bumpy part, then pull or twist, or wiggle while pulling.

As a last resort, carefully drill a small short hole in the plastic body, thread in a screw, and use a pliers to yank on the screw.

Be Careful!

Do not drill so far that you hit any part of the brass valve body behind the cartridge, or you can easily ruin it, and you will need a whole new valve, and major expense, re-tiling, big hole in the wall or from behind it.

After you get it out, clean the crud from the hollow of the valve body with vinegar and paper towels.
Rinse with water and more towels, don’t leave any paper scraps or fuzz.

Lubricate the brass interior and the rubber on the cartridge with a very thin coat of plumbers’ silicone valve grease.

A word of caution on "plumber's grease". Some tubes labeled as "plumber's grease" are petroleum based and should NOT be used for lubricating O-rings (petroleum attacks rubber, although not all O-rings are made of rubber). Only use pure silicone grease for lubricating O-rings, such as in the small packets included with Moen cartridges. Some silicone grease is rather "thin", about the consistency of a gel. The good stuff is thick like a stiff paste.

Back