Materials for submersible pump install

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cap

Reaction score
I have a few questions regarding materials.

Safety rope - Plastic or nylon? Any special type?
Electric splice - is there a goo to smear on inside the splice?
Check valve - is one enough (at pump) two hundred feet lift.
Pump controller - assuming the new pump rating & type is the same as the old one is a new controller required ?
Pipe - Schedule 80 - twenty five years old - 20' sections with couplings. Is there any reason why this cannot be re-used?

Safety rope - Plastic or nylon? Any special type? Neither, do not use!
Electric splice - is there a goo to smear on inside the splice? Not needed. Either use barrel connectors and heat shrink kits or use barrel connectors and electrical tape if you know how.
Check valve - is one enough (at pump) two hundred feet lift. Yes, one only, the one on the pump.
Pump controller - assuming the new pump rating & type is the same as the old one is a new controller required ? Check the capacitors in the controller. If they are within 15% you can use the old ones. Some have one, some have two. Check if the overload protector is in the box or in the motor. You don't need two of them.
Pipe - Schedule 80 - twenty five years old - 20' sections with couplings. Is there any reason why this cannot be re-used? If the couplings are plastic, re use them. Galvanized, I would change the couplings.

Reactions: Cap
Thanks speedbump ! I'm curious about the safety rope answer. My first pump (1968) had galvanized pipe and a plastic (IIRC) rope. This current pump (1993) has schedule 80 and no rope. Rope is no longer needed? More trouble than it's worth? Pollutant?

Rope is just something else to get stuck around the pipe on top of your pump keeping you from getting it out of the well the pipe is much stronger than the Rope.

Reactions: Cap

Latest posts

Back