Major Sewage Water Backup into Kitchen Sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffx

Reaction score
Hello,

Last Thursday, I had a pretty significant sewage water (for lack of a better term) backup into my kitchen sink.

This is in a first floor apartment in a six-floor apartment building in Brooklyn, NY. I have been living here since last June.

About two or three times since I have been living here, I had some dirty water come up into the kitchen sink. It would fill the sink about two or three inches, and then it would drain out within a few minutes. I notified the super of this problem. He said it might be a washing machine upstairs and he'll check it out. Well, I'm not sure if anything was done (probably not). Because last Thursday night, it backed up beyond what I have previously experience.

I heard a loud bubbling noise, and then water started to come up into the sink. It continued until the sink filled up with dirty water. It then started to over flow. It then stopped, and luckily, the amount that overflowed wasn't that significant, and I was able to clean it up pretty quickly.

I called the super. He came a little while later. He was totally perplexed as to what was going on. He then called a super from their other building down the block. A few minutes later, there was a whooshing sound, and all of the water drained out immediately. The super told me that the other guy was in the basement and snaked the drain line in the basement that connects to my apartment. After the super left my apartment, I heard some knocking and banging from under the kitchen sink area.

The next day, I saw the super and he said that they opened the lines and their plumber is coming (supposedly Saturday) and will do what he needs to do. I did hear a little bit of knocking under the kitchen on Saturday morning, but I don't know the extent of what was done. I also sent a picture of the backup to the management company, just to go on record.

I really don't understand what could have caused this, and why did it happen like once every few weeks. Does anybody know? Also, the bathroom and kitchen are not back-to-back (as is common in NYC) so the bathroom has not been affected by this. Since the sink drained after it was snaked, could this happen again anytime soon?

Thanks for any response!

And I guess it did pay off that I gave the super a nice Christmas present, LOL.

Here's a pic of the backup:

Sink Overflow_3_7_19.jpg

Chances are that there was a partial blockage of the drain line serving your kitchen as well as kitchens above you.
Being partially blocked likely allowed a fair amount of water to drain most of the time but when one or more floors above you increased their drainage flows suddenly(like maybe a dishwasher in combination with other flows) the partially blocked line couldn't handle that inrush and simply backed up into your sink. If it had been a line being used by your bathroom as well, chances are it would have come up from your toilet. That would have been much worse.:eek:
It's possible to happen again but probably not anytime soon. If you ever get any early signs of it again, don't hesitate to make it known. You should never get any backing up of water into your sink, particularly when you are not using water.

diehard is right the stoppage was under your unit...that's why your sink would fill up..... normally you would go to the next floor and run a snake out as far as possible...then find that main in the basement and snake it from there again

Chances are that there was a partial blockage of the drain line serving your kitchen as well as kitchens above you.
Being partially blocked likely allowed a fair amount of water to drain most of the time but when one or more floors above you increased their drainage flows suddenly(like maybe a dishwasher in combination with other flows) the partially blocked line couldn't handle that inrush and simply backed up into your sink. If it had been a line being used by your bathroom as well, chances are it would have come up from your toilet. That would have been much worse.:eek:
It's possible to happen again but probably not anytime soon. If you ever get any early signs of it again, don't hesitate to make it known. You should never get any backing up of water into your sink, particularly when you are not using water.

Thank you for the response, Diehard. I'm hoping it turns out as you describe...no more backups - at least not for a long while. Keeping my fingers crossed!

diehard is right the stoppage was under your unit...that's why your sink would fill up..... normally you would go to the next floor and run a snake out as far as possible...then find that main in the basement and snake it from there again

Thank you for the reply, Geofd. I'm hoping all will be well and no more backups!!

Back