Maintaining 1 piece toilet?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Our plumber advised us to get a 2 piece toilet as he says he cannot repair our 1 piece toilet without ripping the whole thing from the floor. The issue we have is that the water in the tank keeps running and he said he cannot replace the part without ripping the whole thing from the floor. Is this correct? I cannot find anything on the internet about this being an issue with 1 piece toilets compared to 2 piece toilets.

I changed the fill valve in my Kohler low boy when i had it. I certainly did not need to pull it to do so. You may need a special fill valve or flapper depending on what the issue is.

Ditto on my one piece Kohler. I replaced the fill valve once, no problem.
But as CT18 eluded to, the flapper seat is different than a 2 piece toilet as it's made to be inserted and removed from within the tank. Something like this video shows.
Well for whatever reason I can't find that video again.
However, the bottom line is that different mfrs have different ways of sealing the flapper seat base to the tank itself, on a one piece toilet.
Obviously since there is no exterior side to the bottom of the tank it must be accomplished from within the tank.
My guess is, that must be the piece the repair person wants to renew and is not familiar with one piece toilets.
Either that or they are....No I won't say it.

Last edited:
Yes, pics please.
And describe exactly what is happening.
Is the fill valve stuck on, or trickling?
Or is the flapper or flush valve leaking, which makes the fill valve have to keep running?

There is always a printed or molded-in section of info, inside the tank, on the back.
It shows the model number, and often the year it was made.
Take pics of that also.
And the toilet brand name is usually printed right by the toilet seat hinge.

Back