Mainline backwater valve installation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen Melanson

Reaction score
I am installing a mainline backwater valve and it says it needs a minimum of a 2% grade. Before I do the installation I just want to be sure I have it right, it has to be sloped down towards the municipal sewer? I know it sounds like a dumb question and I am 99% sure that is the direction they mean by I don’t want to do it wrong.

yes your correct......not sure what materials your using but I installed one not to long ago we built a box around it I piped it in pvc I used two 4 band no-hub couplings so I could replace or repair it

never seen that one but that doesn't mean anything......just leave yourself room on both sides for no hub couplings and a little space so you could pull it out if you had to the one I installed already worked the street backed up and the basement didn't flood....I installed a cleanout just outside the house we pulled the cleanout it leaked all over the lawn the city snaked their main and everything was back to normal

Thanks for the info! Hopefully this works, I have two of the flapper style ones installed, they hold back everything for the most part but it still seeps through.

I live at the same level as the sewage pumping station and there is no backup power so when the power goes out the sewer backs up, these unfortunately are my only defence. The municipality doesn’t want to change anything so everyone on my street is SOL.

Back