Main supply line into my house: Phasing out the copper?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butch

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for any advice here!

My well water comes up from my well pump in a PCV line, 1 inch. However, just a foot or two before coming through my cinder block foundation/basement wall, it connects to copper, 3/4 in. pipe.

Once through the wall, that copper line "tees" into 1/2 in. copper that supplies my downstairs toilet only. The other side if the "T" is 3/4 in.copper supply line thatvgoes straight up about ten feet and then connects back to PVC...everything is then PVC throughout the whole house.

I want to get rid of the copper section altogether. It's about 30 years old and is starting to spring leaks, as is to be expected I am told.

Question: Is there any reason why I should NOT make this easy conversion to all PVC?

BTW, the initial conversion point in the supply line from my well to the house, PVC to copper, just outside the foundation/wall cinder blocks, is about 6 feet underground!

Recently I had to dig down that deep to repair a simple leak in the copper, just this side of the PVC to copper junction. That was almost an all day job, necessary to make a 30 minute repair coupling in the copper!

I assume that there must be a reason why that PVC supply line was connected to copper line, thirty years ago when the house was built. By now, however, I'm afraid to cover up the underground copper or to replace the dry wall inside the basement bathroom where the copper has already leaked once or twice.

Hence the question as to why or why not, before I make it PVC all the way.

THANKS!

Plumbing codes do not allow PVC to be used inside dwellings.
There are many reasons, but primary among them in my mind:
1. PVC breaks readily.
2. PVC becomes embrittled over time as the plasticizers dissipate and as temperatures drop.
3. PVC cracks readily when stressed.

Big "Thanks" to all you kind gentlemen for replying.

Indeed the supply line is 3/4 in. CPVC. (I should have known better than to call it pvc. I do know the difference. Yet another senior moment!)

Anyway, my question is: Why does the 3/4 in. cpvc supply line change to 3/4 copper just before coming through the basement cement block wall, then change back to cpvc for all plumbing in the house? Is there a practical reason for the copper being used in-between the cpvc lines...i.e.: Is there a practical reason to use 3/4 copper to come through the basement wall, before going back to cpvc for all plumbing inside? Was it a code requirement when the house was built circa 1990.

The line is about 4 ft. underground where it comes into the basement. The copper line, in total about 10-12 feet of pipe, is old enough to begin to leak. Already had to tear out the dry wall inside to fix leaks in the copper over past several years. Last leak was 4ft underground outside of wall. What a bummer!

To fix this problem: Should I replace the old copper pipe with new copper? Or can I replace the copper section with cpvc?

I'm guessing there is a reason for the copper being used in the original system...and I don't mind replacing the old copper with new. But if there is no practical or code reason to keep the copper, I'd rather just make it cpvc all the way. Easier.

Thanks in advance for any advice here.

I have no idea, The only reason I can think of was the house was originally piped in copper
OR. when the wall was being built the copper was put in place as the wall went up. then connected at a later date
You should drill a hole in the foundation, insert a 2'' sleeve, then use 1'' insulation
This will be 1'' insulation on both sides of the pipe with 3/4 in-between. THEN seal the annular space with tar or some type of water proofing.
now the foundation can shift/settle the pipe will not be stressed

Big "Thanks" to all you kind gentlemen for replying.

Indeed the supply line is 3/4 in. CPVC. (I should have known better than to call it pvc. I do know the difference. Yet another senior moment!)

Anyway, my question is: Why does the 3/4 in. cpvc supply line change to 3/4 copper just before coming through the basement cement block wall, then change back to cpvc for all plumbing in the house? Is there a practical reason for the copper being used in-between the cpvc lines...i.e.: Is there a practical reason to use 3/4 copper to come through the basement wall, before going back to cpvc for all plumbing inside? Was it a code requirement when the house was built circa 1990.

The line is about 4 ft. underground where it comes into the basement. The copper line, in total about 10-12 feet of pipe, is old enough to begin to leak. Already had to tear out the dry wall inside to fix leaks in the copper over past several years. Last leak was 4ft underground outside of wall. What a bummer!

To fix this problem: Should I replace the old copper pipe with new copper? Or can I replace the copper section with cpvc?

I'm guessing there is a reason for the copper being used in the original system...and I don't mind replacing the old copper with new. But if there is no practical or code reason to keep the copper, I'd rather just make it cpvc all the way. Easier.

Thanks in advance for any advice here.
I have no idea, The only reason I can think of was the house was originally piped in copper
OR. when the wall was being built the copper was put in place as the wall went up. then connected at a later date
You should drill a hole in the foundation, insert a 2'' sleeve, then use 1'' insulation
This will be 1'' insulation on both sides of the pipe with 3/4 in-between. THEN seal the annular space with tar or some type of water proofing.
now the foundation can shift/settle the pipe will not be stressed
Awesome! Very helpful. Thank you so much, especially for the heads up on insulating and protecting the pipe at the wall. I'm assuming that I can go ahead with cpvc to replace the copper, so long as I insulate and protect as you recommend here. Thanks again!

Back