Main residential check valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papote13

Reaction score
I have a swing check valve that is between the water meter and the main ball valve. I have a water pressure booster and noticed that when no faucet is open in the house the pressure drops slowly, making it hard to maintain water pressure. I've tested by turning on the pressure booster with 4 gallon pressure tank and closing the main ball valve. The water pressure held. As soon as I opened the main ball valve the pressure started to drop. I assume it is sending back to my neighbors.

I opened the top nut on the swing check valve and tried cleaning with a toothbrush what I could. The valve does not seem to be corroded since it had been installed 2 years ago and moved pretty freely. After closing everything back up, it's the same. The pressure gradually starts lowering.

My utility water pressure is at 10 PSI and they won't do anything to increase it.

I got the guys that installed it to come back and verify. They managed to take the clapper out and cleaned it, but still was loosing pressure. They told me that I would need to get a 3/4" spring check valve, but in the process would need to get into the concrete to replace. They told me that it is probably due to the hard water here.

Since I don't want to have to replace keep replacing check valves and keep destroying the concrete floor every 2 years what type of check valve do you guys recommend?

I don't know the flow characteristics but this double union check valve looks like a possibility. Caleffi NA51
But why have check valve there and not at the equipment where it belongs? I would also consider a 1" version for better flow characteristics.
If you are not able to relocate, then use a bigger service box.

Attachments

• 1603856404394.png
    1603856404394.png
    184.3 KB · Views: 2
I don't have the check valve at the equipment because there is no inline tap between the mains and the house aside from the small pit pictured above where the original swing check valve and ball valve is. This is in the middle of the driveway surrounded by concrete. The house is concrete with no basement.

Can't you install a better quality check valve right at the suction side of your booster pump? Swing gate checks are notorious for small leaks.

Can't you install a better quality check valve right at the suction side of your booster pump? Swing gate checks are notorious for small leaks.

The problem is that I don't have any inline access aside from the pit where the main valve is. The connection from the water meter which is located on the sidewalk goes to the driveway pit to the swing check valve and then to the main valve and then underneath the concrete driveway and then the concrete house.

What I've noticed that most people around here do is that they have a water cistern on the flat concrete roof and a check valve coming from the mains. The have the pump connected to the cistern and a pressure tank. They then connect to any line in the house. I've seen some connect to the garden hose pipe as inlet to the house.

I don't know the flow characteristics but this double union check valve looks like a possibility. Caleffi NA51
But why have check valve there and not at the equipment where it belongs? I would also consider a 1" version for better flow characteristics.
If you are not able to relocate, then use a bigger service box.

Can't I just use a 3/4" inch, since the tubing is 3/4"?
I noticed that product specs say it is serviceable. To what extent? Would it be easier to remove and clean if needed?
I'm not sure if they are going to put in a bigger box. They just told me that they'll need to break apart the concrete to cut the tube remove the swing check valve and install a new spring check valve.

Latest posts

Back