Main line clog, what is this?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albinoh

Reaction score
https://imgur.com/a/LNTG78k

I had a plumber came over and unclogged my main line with a snake, after a week it clogged again, he unclogged it again but recommended making a hole in the ground to fix the issue. He mentioned he felt the clog very close to the clean-out, but could not break it completely with the snake.

I put a camera in the clean-out to check what the clog would look like. I posted it in the imgur link above. It looks to me like a grease clog.

Do I really need to make a hole to fix this, could a degreaser product fix this or some other kind of snake?

Thanks!

when you look down the clean out is it a tee so you can see both directions of the drain or is it a directional fitting going towards the main in the street....when we have grease in our drains at work we use a large cutter head with 4 blades so it scrapes the sides of the pipe....sometimes we use our water jet or if its to bad we have a jet company take care of it.....if its grease how is it getting down the drain at my house we pour anything like that into a container and freeze it I know there is grease in lots of things and it ends up there anyway...

It is a tee, you can see one direction going towards the house and the other direction going to the street, that clog is on the side going to the street. This is an old house we recently bought, so I suspect its an old clog that finally shut down, we haven't been pouring grease down the drain.

did he have that camera while he was snaking???? was his snake powerful enough to snake a main drain...what kind of head did he have on the cable I usually start with a small head and increase size I have access to a camera so I know its clean....I don't think you need a new access as long as you can snake in both directions if you are handy enough you can rent a snake and probably clear it yourself if you rent it just tell them you are clearing a main drain and yo need a variety of heads when you hit the clog just stay there and don't force it...….if you don't feel comfortable call a reputable drain cleaning co and let them know what you have already found

Back