Main line backed up

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djodts

Reaction score
Hello,

I had a plumber out today because our cleanout (level with the basement floor) was backing up. I had a 4" Oatey plug covering the hole, but it must have had a slight leak. So, after the plumber ran 120' of line he said that he didn't run into anything. There were mild amounts of fine roots, but he didn't think it was the cause of my backed up line. His thought that the sewer line was backed up and to call the city. They came out and confirmed that the sewer line was wide open (it's over 50" tall) so clearly not the problem.

The plumbers other suggestion was to call someone to trace my main line and have them dig it up and replace/clean out that area in the event that my line turns and he didn't actually make it to the city main.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do next? I just want to be sure I am paying for the right service as I cannot toss a few hundred dollars....or thousands of dollars to every professional willing to come out and give it a try.

I did chat with my neighbor and he said that their lines are running slow too, so I'm wondering if ours connects to theirs considering that our houses are about 90 years old and maybe they were joined.

I would appreciate any advice. Thank you

Hard to say what’s underground without knowing the area. Maybe if you post the region someone who has worked in that area can shed some light. Very slim chance of it, best thing is to used a sewer inspection camera and figure out what’s going on. 120’ is a lot of cable to come up with nothing. Camera inspections should only be a few hundred dollars. With this information you get is worth every penny in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back