Main gate valve stem broken in open

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushwaka

Reaction score
14B07356-5D44-4532-96EB-282FD2E72E3C.jpeg I’m new to copper pipe plumbing. Need some guidance for the replacement of the main gate valve.

If I cut out the pipe and replace with new valve and pipe, should I solder the threaded portion of the pipe where it meets the valve?

Can I replace with a ball valve instead of a gate valve? I’m guessing it’s code otherwise there would be more ball valves installed.

What is the white coating on the pipe?

Why would there be PVC fittings near the base of the pipe?

New to copper pipe plumbing? do you know how to solder?

I assume it's the valve in the vertical, which appears to be a soldered valve. Not threaded.
Do you know how you will fit the new pieces together, assuming it's fixed on each end?

Yes a full port ball valve would be a good choice.

Isn't the white coating just paint?

They must have used PVC under ground.

Is that 1" horiz. line, with the threaded gate valve, feeding a sprinkler system? If it is, it should have a
Pressure vacuum breaker backflow prevention assembly (PVB), I believe.

New to copper pipe plumbing? do you know how to solder?

I assume it's the valve in the vertical, which appears to be a soldered valve. Not threaded.
Do you know how you will fit the new pieces together, assuming it's fixed on each end?

Yes a full port ball valve would be a good choice.

Isn't the white coating just paint?

They must have used PVC under ground.

Is that 1" horiz. line, with the threaded gate valve, feeding a sprinkler system? If it is, it should have a
Pressure vacuum breaker backflow prevention assembly (PVB), I believe.

Yes it’s the vertical valve. Solder all my electrical connections. Heat from the bottom, solder from the top. Was thinking of using copper sleeves for connectors?

Yes it’s the vertical valve. Solder all my electrical connections. Heat from the bottom, solder from the top. Was thinking of using copper sleeves for connectors?
Yes, you can use a copper sleeve(or a repair or slip coupling), which has no internal pipe stops as a coupling would.
Well glad to hear you seem to have your act together. Good luck.

EDIT: Do you have to get the water purveyor to shut off your water supply or can you do that yourself?

For future reference, the 2016 California Plumbing code is available on line.
Here are 2 different sites I found. I assume they contain the same info but haven't doubled checked that. I just like the ease of viewing one over the other.
http://epubs.iapmo.org/2016/CPC/#p=1
https://up.codes/viewer/california/ca-plumbing-code-2016

Lead free solder and flux, of course.

Last edited:
I have access to the city water main. It’s at the curb line.

Thanks for your help and confirming my plan.

You should practice soldering in your garage before taking on an 1 1/4” ball valve job. Start with 1/2” and work your way up to 1 1/4”

I recommend only using Mapp gas for soldering assemblies that big.
We hardly ever solder any more. ProPress is the way to go.
Wish you were closer, I have a few of solder type 1-1/4" lever handle ball valves left that I will likely never use.

That valve is rebuildable if you want the easy solution. Just get the same one and take parts from one to the other.

Rebuild is a much better option. Thanks for the suggestion.
You never mentioned why you wanted to replace it.
Is it not holding tight?
Or is it leaking at the stem?
If it's not holding water flow through the pipe tight, make sure it doesn't have severe pitting or corrosion on the body seats.

Rebuild is a much better option. Thanks for the suggestion.
Is it not holding tight?
If it's not holding water flow through the pipe tight, make sure it doesn't have severe pitting or corrosion on the body seats.

It's in the title of the thread.

Is it not holding tight?
Main gate valve stem broken in open

it is just a guess but i think the title of the thread holds a clue as to what the original problem may be, not being a college educated person i could be mistaken,

he he he .....g afternoon Diehard, how is you and every body ?else?

I did see that title way back but I forgot about it. Old age!
Not college educated. School of Hard Knocks.
School.jpg

Yup broken stem...very common on gate valves.

Latest posts

Back