Lubricating inside of a 2-handle faucet cartridge

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWTennesseean

Reaction score
Is it ok to take apart a 2-handle faucet cartridge (Delta, Valley, etc) and put silicone lubricant on the inner stem and also on the inner o-ring that the stem goes thru? Or is it best to leave the innards alone and just lubricate the exterior o-ring and seat? I know the stem turns within this inner o-ring, but am not sure if the stem turns while the o-ring stays in place, or if turning the stem also turns this inner o-ring along with it, or does it matter. I was just concerned if I lube'd the o-ring and it's meant to be stationary during turns (i.e., the stem only turning within the o-ring), that this would cause it to slip around (turn) along with the stem unintentionally. I am probably over-thinking this, but wanted to ask. The primary motivation is to protect/lengthen the inner o-ring's life and ensure easy turning of stem, particularly on the hot water side. Note this is the small inner o-ring, not the larger one on the outside middle. TIA.

You can put silicone plumbers’ grease anywhere in there.
Just put everything back together in the right place.
Take pictures before you pull things apart.

Thanks for confirming! It's a pretty simple 2 piece, top and bottom. I looked all over YouTube for anyone lubricating the inside of a cartridge, where it seems most squeaking would come from (other than the cartridge bottom moving across the rubber seat).

Latest posts

Back