Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelvcowan

Reaction score
Low water pressure throughout the house. Well assembly is just over 20 years old.

The well pressure tank had a ruptured bladder. Replaced. 36 gal. Air at 38psi.
The pressure switch was bad also. Replaced.

Also replaced the T pipe and the gauge.

After replacements, same issue. Same psi on the water gauge - 20psi with no water running. Drops to 5-10psi when a faucet is running.
I cannot get the 20psi to change at all after making adjustments on the pressure switch.

Is my well pump bad? Its a motor that sits above ground in a little doghouse.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    796.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    704.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    684.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    977.6 KB · Views: 3
Jet pump is probably using a 30/50 pressure switch, so only need 25-28 PSI air in the tank. Jet pump that only makes 20 PSI usually has a clogged jet nozzle. Is this a shallow well pump with one pipe going down the well or a deep well jet with two pipes down the well?

Jet pump is probably using a 30/50 pressure switch, so only need 25-28 PSI air in the tank. Jet pump that only makes 20 PSI usually has a clogged jet nozzle. Is this a shallow well pump with one pipe going down the well or a deep well jet with two pipes down the well?
I’m printing all your posts. 😐

Shallow well jet pump the jet nozzle is behind a plug below the suction pipe. It can be cleaned out with a wire coat hanger. A deep well pump has the jet nozzle at the bottom of the well in the ejector.

Thank you. I will drop the pressure on the tank when I get home today and check the PSI on the water. Do I need to flush the system of water first or just release the air until I get to 28psi?

I will open the well pump dog house and get the specs and pictures to repost if the psi change doesnt work. It makes sense though.. If my pump is weaker it cant push water against the bladder with 38 psi behind it.

To set your air pressure ..... turn off the pump ......... open a faucet so your water pressure gauge is at zero ....... then check the air pressure.
Perhaps it would be beneficial to cycle your pump to be sure the switch is indeed set at the 30/50 range.

Is air pressure in a bladder tank suppose to be set with the water off and pressure relieved?

Is air pressure in a bladder tank suppose to be set with the water off and pressure relieved?
System pressure relieved, set the bladder to 2-psi lower than the cut in pressure of the pump. 30-50-psi pump switch sets to 28-psi, 40-60-psi set to 38-psi. So sayeth the folks at Well-Trol. And, I trust them to know.

Emptied all water. PSI to zero. I let air out of tank dropping from 38psi to about 27psi. See pics.

Turned system back on. Water psi showing less than before 18psi. No real change.

Going to get well pump pictures.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 40CC6A55-215E-405B-8102-2EC8A1F559AA.jpeg
    40CC6A55-215E-405B-8102-2EC8A1F559AA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • 114A6A21-D73A-4077-A253-FCE3A95E848A.jpeg
    114A6A21-D73A-4077-A253-FCE3A95E848A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
Back