Low Water Pressure in Tub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mky44

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently bought my first house last year. The upstairs guest bathroom has a tub. When you turn the water on the pressure is very low. If I turn the faucet to the left (hot) it will come out a little fast but not full pressure. If I turn it right (cold) the pressure drops. If it's in the middle, it comes out slow, but better than left or right. I did notice in the closet behind the bathtub the wall was cut out to access the pipes for probably some sort of repair. I didn't notice this problem when we purchased the house, it seemed fine at the time. I did, however, notice the problem after we replaced our hot water heater. When the water was shut off and turned back on the water came out black and spit out air and the guy said it would, but the pressure was very low. If I remember correctly, this problem didn't happen until the hot water heater was replaced, BUT I could be wrong, maybe it was always like this.

Any thoughts or suggestion is most appreciated. I attached a couple of photos.

Attachments

• 20200520_185508.jpg
    20200520_185508.jpg
    917.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200520_185500.jpg
    20200520_185500.jpg
    697.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200520_185452.jpg
    20200520_185452.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 3
Could be trash stuck inside the valve. Looks like a moen. But not sure. Take handle off and send pic. Some people wanna whine and waste time asking needless questions. But I usually just put a new cartridge in. Sure you might be able to get trash out of old one. But then your putting the old one back in. So don’t waste time. Let’s figure out what brand it is and go from there. Going cheap simply means not paying a pro. Buy the expensive part and your still saving a ton on labor. But something is stuck inside. Please don’t dissemble the valve without a new cartridge. Some plumbers love it when an emergency is created. Most don’t. I hope I answered every question that could pop up before seeing guts behind handle. Allen screw behind lever of handle

do you mean the handle?
Could be trash stuck inside the valve. Looks like a moen. But not sure. Take handle off and send pic. Some people wanna whine and waste time asking needless questions. But I usually just put a new cartridge in. Sure you might be able to get trash out of old one. But then your putting the old one back in. So don’t waste time. Let’s figure out what brand it is and go from there. Going cheap simply means not paying a pro. Buy the expensive part and your still saving a ton on labor. But something is stuck inside. Please don’t dissemble the valve without a new cartridge. Some plumbers love it when an emergency is created. Most don’t. I hope I answered every question that could pop up before seeing guts behind handle. Allen screw behind lever of handle

I did identify handle when I ment handle. And valve when I ment valve. Handle is self explanatory. Valve is behind handle in wall

Latest posts

Back