Low shower pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

everyman

Reaction score
I replaced all galvanized with copper, still low shower pressure. Is there a fix possible for the mixing valve, or should I replace it, or merely commit suicide, as a friend recommended?

Were your pipes replaced very recently? If so, you may have rust and sediment clogging your shower head, which is what happened to me last month when I repiped in copper. It took some time, but I flushed the sediment through the mixing valve without taking it apart.

Also, how much pressure do you have coming into the house? Were the replacement pipes reduced in diameter?

Last edited:
THANKS for reply! I replaced all the old galvanized because of low shower pressure. The old pipes were all full of minerals etc., and after I was done there was good pressure everywhere else in the house except at the shower. I replaced 1/2" galvanized with 1/2" copper, and where there had been 3/4" galvanized I replaced it with 3/4" copper.

your problem most likely is in the shower head or the riser pipe to the shower head may be galvenize as well and be constricted

ok ,this is what i do for a living. first check your pressure where your water line comes in. usually about 50-65 psi is normal. if that checks out ok then work your way back to the bathroom. make sure there is no more galvanized water lines. if not then shut off the water and take apart your shower valve. meaning take your cartridge or cartridges out and turn the water back on for a quick few seconds. we are trying to flush out any debris that may be stuck inside the shower valve. worst case scenerio-youll need a new shower valve installed. about 195 labor plus cost of shower valve.

The best thing to do would be to get hold of a pressure gauge. Attach it to the shower rose attachment and read the pressure. Ultimately if the pressure gauge reads a low pressure it will not improve. If the pressure is high on the gauge there is more than likely a blockage in the pipe line / shower rose/head itself / mixer cartridge filters.

Darren Bosman
-Master Plumber-
Cape Town's leading Plumbing and Drainage contractor - Home

We had pressure issues when we bought our house last year... this forum wasnt around for me to ask ya'll this very question, but my workaround has worked pretty well so far.

I got what I have heard called a "navy shower head"... its basically a nozzle that you can shut on/off at the shower head. it is a really small size, so the amount of water coming out, but the velocity is increased... Q=V*A

Latest posts

Back