Low pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msmith2002424

Reaction score
Intermittent low pressure at all faucets, despite plenty of pressure from well pump and pressure tank.
Sorry for the long story comming, but it's driving me nuts.
I have a well with submersible pump into a 32 ga pressure tank. About a month ago there was a pin hole in a copper pipe just after the pressure tank. I first tried to sand down some corrosion on it and wrap with that vinyl emergency tape stuff. The next day I cut the pipe off and replaced that section with 3/4 pex. Ever-increasing that moment I have had the problem of low pressure at all faucets/shower head if the water has been recently used. The pump switch is set for the standard 40/60, the pressure tank is less than 1 yr old. I confirmed the pressure gauge is correct and the pressure tank holds 38lbs when empty of water. Ot seems like the water does not exit the pressure tank enough even though the gauge will still read 40+ lbs when the faucets have low pressure. It is especially bad after a toilet flush. Have to wait a few minutes till full pressure again.
Was working just fine before I replaced that section of straight pipe, about 12in long.
For giggles I replaced the pressure tank with a new one with no fix to the problem.

Any ideas???
Thanks for listening.

Sounds like your pex or the fitting is causing a restriction, I have heard that's a problem. you might need to go up a size to get the volume you need. With copper or cpvc the fittings are on the outside, they don't resrict the flow like pex fitting that go inside.

Sounds like a well problem to me. 3/4” pex doesn’t cause enough restriction affect one faucet.

Check for a partially closed or broken gate valve or a valve not open all the way.

Yesterday I replaced all the 3/4 crimp pex that runs from the well to the pressure tank and upto the main supply splits up through the house with 1 inch pex. Problem solved. Credit to RS, thanks. I guess when I replaced that piece of 3/4 copper it became 1 pex crimp piece too many.

Yesterday I replaced all the 3/4 crimp pex that runs from the well to the pressure tank and upto the main supply splits up through the house with 1 inch pex. Problem solved. Credit to RS, thanks. I guess when I replaced that piece of 3/4 copper it became 1 pex crimp piece too many.
With all do respect, I don’t believe that 12” section of pex was the problem.

In the course of replacing that short piece of pex you corrected another problem, like a valve not opened all the way, etc.

But either way, I’m glad it’s working for you.

Back