low pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hakol

Reaction score
Hello, It's spring here in Maine and I went to use the outdoor faucet and water barely drains out. It's a mueller quartermaster frost free. I removed the shaft assembly inside and water came out like crazy, so pressure and supply are not the issue. The faucet was new last fall. Any advice on what to look for would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance.

Sounds like your valve stem isn’t turning inside when you turn the handle.

Try to find out why. Check the outlet when you have the stem out and the water off. There should be an open path for water to flow.

I assume when you removed the stem assembly, water came out the end of the silcock where the handle goes. If not, those silcocks have a cartridge instead of just a washer at the valve seat that is held on by a screw. If that screw has somehow broken, very strange for a silcock less than a year old, it may have lodged itself in and is not allow much water to pass through. However, if that were the case, I would have expected that the water pressure would have pushed it out without a stem holding it somewhat in place when you removed the stem assembly and turned the water on. But that's the only thing I can think of that would cause your symptoms, other than some type of debris in the faucet outlet which could be readily seen.

Latest posts

Back