Low Pressure to Outdoor Spigots

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanbands

Reaction score
I recently purchased my first home. There are 3 outdoor spigots on the house. 1 on the front of the house, 1 by the garage, and 1 on the deck. The spigots by the garage and on the deck were service by a local plumbing company April 2021. They installed a shut-off valve for each spigot. One shut-off is labeled "Garage and Deck" and is located in the utility room where the water heater is. The other is labeled "Deck" and is located in the garage. The problem I am experiencing is when I turn on either spigot, the initial pressure is normal and quite strong, but after a few seconds, the pressure reduces to a slow trickle. There seems to be a correlation between the amount of time the spigot is closed and the amount of time the pressure is normal. If I leave either spigot shut for about 10 minutes or more, the pressure is normal for almost 10 seconds before slowing to a trickle. The spigot on the front of the house was not serviced by the plumbing company and functions normal. It also appears to be the oldest one. Both of the shut-off valves installed by the plumbing company are fully open and all water fixtures in the house function normal and with good pressure. The spigots are typical I need help diagnosing the cause of the problem as well as formulating a plan to fix it.

Well, they've clearly done something wrong, sounds like the shutoff valves aren't turned on. I know you said they are fully open, but they obviously aren't passing enough water.

With the outside faucet turned on, try working the shutoff valves from 'fully open' to 'fully closed' and back again, is there a position where they pass more water?

But the real answer is to call them back and have them fix it. At, ideally, their expense.

Are all the spikots connected to the same feed,
Is there a valve that controls all three spikot????
I am not able to trace the source of the functioning spigot. Besides the main shutoff valve, there is no valve that controls all three.

If there is a backflow device protecting those hydrants then that’s most likely the trouble. It could be in the piping some place or on the ground or you may not have one at all.

If there is a PRV in the line that serves those hydrants and nothing else then it could be that malfunctioning.

You could have a stop valve that’s partially closed that serves those two lines.

Just guesses.

If there is a backflow device protecting those hydrants then that’s most likely the trouble. It could be in the piping some place or on the ground or you may not have one at all.

If there is a PRV in the line that serves those hydrants and nothing else then it could be that malfunctioning.

You could have a stop valve that’s partially closed that serves those two lines.

Just guesses.
Your guesses as well as the other comments on this thread have been miles more help than anything else I can find online. I am going to post some pictures in this thread shortly and hopefully that will paint a better picture.

Attached are pictures of both shut-offs installed by the plumbing company. I attached an additional picture of a fitting that may be nothing at all, but it just looked different than anything else along the lines.

Attachments

• Shutoff for Deck.JPG
    Shutoff for Deck.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
  • Above Garage and Deck Shutoff.JPG
    Above Garage and Deck Shutoff.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • Shutoff for Garage and Deck.JPG
    Shutoff for Garage and Deck.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
I don’t know if this is your problem or not but it appears this is a stop valve with a screwdriver stem rather than a handle.

I would turn the water off and take that apart and check. Especially if what’s circled is between the main line and the problem hose bibbs. It’s sus…..7373E733-D4EB-4256-A98A-25F5B252C1E8.jpeg

You could simply try to turn that valve all the way on if it’s not already.

Hard to tell from the pic exactly how to do that, I believe it’s a flat head screwdriver slot.

I don’t know if this is your problem or not but it appears this is a stop valve with a screwdriver stem rather than a handle.

I would turn the water off and take that apart and check. Especially if what’s circled is between the main line and the problem hose bibbs. It’s sus…..View attachment 35505
This picture should confirm that the stop valve is in fact between the main shut-off (white valve on the left) and the problem shut-off valves. I think you may be on to something...

Attachments

• image_123927839.JPG
    image_123927839.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
This picture should confirm that the stop valve is in fact between the main shut-off (white valve on the left) and the problem shut-off valves. I think you may be on to something...
You might could just open it, might be closed. Try turning the stem counterclockwise.

Update: Sorry guys I got married, went on a cruise for the honeymoon, then got Covid so things are finally beginning to settle down! I ended up turning that valve open and it worked. I heard water rushing through the lines and the outdoor spigots are working like normal. That valve was closed fully, which is strange that it allowed the amount of water to the bibs that it did. Luckily we can use the spigots now. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, you guys are great!!

Back