Low hot water pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExtraMilePlumbing

Reaction score
Thanks in advance guys... A residential two bathroom house has low hot water in one bathroom on the shower and lavi.. The customer said the last plumber blow out the water line with an air compressor . Do any of you recommend this ?and if so what are the steps in doing that? Any preoctions? Also what else would you recommend instead? It's a galvinised pipe

Gal. pipe, low pressure. repipe $$$$$$

search

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=galvanized+water+pipes+rusting+on+inside&view=detailv2&&id=BF1DB31FCC3DC373454AD6D64B788BE88FD2A4AB&selectedIndex=1&ccid=a9JE1Dyq&simid=608005252067363677&thid=OIP.M6bd244d43caaf0662226d0160090c90ao0

Blowing out the lines can cause some issues, sometimes you'll blow that rust build up right into the valve and you'll be replacing stems and fixtures.. Low pressure and its galvanized.. Just repipe.

I agree with you guys.but the homeowner said when the last plumber did that . It lasted 3 years with great pressure.

I won't take the risk to blow out the lines with any source (air, nitrogen etc), too much liability in that one. It's galvanize so I'll recommend the ho a repipe or I'll walk away. If something going wrong or start leaking somewhere, they will blame you and you will pay for the repipe.

I won't take the risk to blow out the lines with any source (air, nitrogen etc), too much liability in that one. It's galvanize so I'll recommend the ho a repipe or I'll walk away. If something going wrong or start leaking somewhere, they will blame you and you will pay for the repipe.

Maybe that is the homeowner's idea? :eek:

I like how you put it garGalaxy.. Even doh we always have customers sign liability release forms

old galvi pipes can be paper thin. your best bet it to recommend a repipe.

when you start twisting wrenches on wore out pipes, leaks start popping up where their were none

I have, but your chancing it. at kitchen sink, removed the stem. and using a coat hanger, go straight down knock out what you can,
turn the water on, blow the crap out and replace stem..

works...sometimes also, screws you sometimes

If you have decent cold pressure you can block off an aerator on one of the faucets. Turn off the hot water heater, open hot and cold on fixture you blocked off aerator and than open a hot faucet somewhere farther down the line to try back flushing. Putting air through the line is just asking for trouble.

Back