Low flow: Replaced valve and cartridge, what else could it be?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gforce22

Reaction score
Have a shower setup, flow handle on left, hot/cold handle on the right. Faucet with diverter for the tub.

the flow handle has spun pretty loosely for a while. The other morning my wife went to shower and there was virtually no flow. And the handle just spun around.

I went it, replaced the valve, didn’t fix it, though the handle now stops when it’s supposed to. So I moved to the hot/cold handle, ended up replacing the cartridge there. Still minimal flow, touch more than dripping.

with the handle off, water comes firing out of the pipe, so it doesn’t seem to be a block. Pressure throughout house is fine everywhere else, including the sink in that same bathroom.

Could it be the tub diverter? Would think if that was issue water would be good at either shower head or faucet.

I’m stumped. Any ideas are appreciated.

GH

Attachments

• EED3A3FD-BF91-43B7-B82B-C88AE580646B.jpeg
    EED3A3FD-BF91-43B7-B82B-C88AE580646B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 9E894956-AE51-44BF-8A99-62B7D174FADE.jpeg
    9E894956-AE51-44BF-8A99-62B7D174FADE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 0FE0F10D-4595-4DEC-8A8C-36C71B24FA01.jpeg
    0FE0F10D-4595-4DEC-8A8C-36C71B24FA01.jpeg
    868.9 KB · Views: 6
Did you replace with original factory parts ?

How did you turn the water off to replace the parts ?

Did you replace with original factory parts ?

How did you turn the water off to replace the parts ?

I cut the supply to the bathroom by turning off the valve on the bathroom pipe in the basement.

I got the parts from a plumbing supply house.

Attachments

• 09AF8E6E-B3C2-4ABF-A7D0-712D6BE0B729.jpeg
    09AF8E6E-B3C2-4ABF-A7D0-712D6BE0B729.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I suggest calling Pfister. Parts numbers can change. It’s not always cut and dry.

This faucet is no longer in production. There were also two models of this faucet but the cartridge part numbers show the same. It depends on what year it was manufactured.

You could also take the faucet back apart and make sure there are no visible obstructions.

You can also blow air through the valve to check for obstructions.

Make sure both hot and cold have plenty of flow. If one is restricted it will restrict the entire valve. “ pressure balanced “. So if one side is low pressure so will the other side. Hot/cold.

Did the volume control always work 'counterclockwise for more water'? It looks like the graphic on the cover plate and the function of the handle are opposites, in which case it might be possible you've either got the wrong part or it's installed upside down or something.

/*
I cut the supply to the bathroom by turning off the valve on the bathroom pipe in the basement.
*/

And how did you turn off the hot water supply to the bathroom? Did you turn off one valve and only turn one of them back on?

/*
with the handle off, water comes firing out of the pipe
*/
With _which_ handle off? Remove all the temperature control parts and see if water comes out when you turn on the cold water and then when you turn on the hot water to that bathroom. Then reassemble the temperature control side and remove all the volume control parts, and see if both hot and cold water come out when you adjust the temperature control.

Could even be a broken-off piece of the mixer valve hung up in the volume control valve or the rest of the plumbing.

Latest posts

Back