Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flash man

Reaction score
Hi

I am replacing a toilet where the flange is almost an inch under the tile. Previous owner had 2 regular wax rings stacked with both horns intact. Bolts are covered with some tile debris so I suppose I have to clean the keyholes out to place new bolts. However, I am not sure if it's better to place 2 wax rings ontop of each other or use what home depot recommended: https://www.homedepot.com/p/NEXT-by-Danco-Perfect-Seal-Toilet-Wax-Ring-10718X/204817386?

Floor is a little uneven as well.

Thanks for advice !

Attachments

• IMG_20200211_225447.jpg
    IMG_20200211_225447.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 12
Chances that sealing the spacer to the flange is going to create a gap for a leak? Also, what is the 'right' way to determine the best option? Seems like everyone has their own preferred method.

Can you access from below.i think a combination of diehard and voleti ideas
Would work if there is no access im assuming thewax ring has a plastic horn tbat
sits inside the flange.......caulk it to the floor once your leak free leaving a gap in the back
so if it leaks it will show up thecalking should keep it from moving
In a normal install i would not recommend this but sounds like your options are limited

What is the inside diameter of pipe connected to flange. There are some “telescoping” flange extensions available for this type of issue.

I like the Danco ring. they say "Accommodates flange heights from 1/2 in. above the floor to 1-1/2 in. below the floor." If true, that would be a good thing to carry in your bag o' tricks to solve a lot of problems that would normally require a trip back to the shop or supplier.

It looks like the flange is buried under the tile partially so the danco seal does not fit properly in the hole. I used double stack and it hasn't leaked so far. Thick with horn over regular.

I always put the one with the horn on the flange, when I double stack.
But I can see it working out either way.

Has anyone else got any input on this, ring with horn on top or bottom?
Just curious, this is an interesting development for me.

Any experience with using a thick ring and a regular ring? A little worried there's too much wax for the gap.

We don't double up on rings too much at all, but I think putting the horned ring on the flange first would be the better option. They can shift out of the wax just used alone, so I'd think stacking it on top of another ring would only increase that risk.

If you don't have any leaks, and your toilet isn't rocking in the slightest, I think you could call it good for now, but if you ever had to redo it, I'd recommend using spacers and just a single wax ring, like other suggested. It makes for a more solid base, and leaves fewer points of failure.

Latest posts

Back