Low Bowl Water Level - Out of ideas

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbawny

Reaction score
Hi All:

So for the past many years, our two toilets (main bath, 2nd half bath) have had water levels that are very low. TBH, I've done most of the basic toilet repairs myself. Not a plumber. Barely a handyman. But i'm not incapable either.

I finally got around to trying to work on this. TBH, let's just say after "business" happens in the bowl, sometimes b/c there's too little water, getting the stuff to flush can be difficult, depending upon how much "business" has been conducted. ;)

(trying to be PC here!)

;)

So here's what I've done so far. First, I've watched a ton of youtube vids. First, the water is maybe 3-4" up from the bottom of the tank drain. When flushing, the water empties into the bowl and rinses down, no problems. The water level starts rising back up above the LOW point, maybe by an inch. I can hear the water refill tube working.

One of the vids on YT suggested using a screwdriver to turn it so that the water level in the tank rises about an inch shy of the overflow tube. I did make that change by tightening the screw on the water adjustment rod. After this change, on both toilets, the bowl flushes and the refill tube pumps water into the bowl for longer time now. I can see and hear the water running. The water comes in to the bowl for almost a minute, but the water level recedes and never really reaches a high point that I see in other homes toilet bowls. When the refill tube stops, the water level slowly flows down and I can hear a high pitched tinkle until it reaches the low point and just stops.

Next, another YT vid said to make sure that the water isn't beign blocked coming out of the source in the tank. So I took off the top cap assembly and, using a glass, made sure that it wasn't clogged by flushing a couple times. Water pressure is great and clear. No debris.

Another YT vid said to make sure the air vents to the bowls are clear of debris and to run a hose down them. I just did that. No debris, water flows and appears completely unimpeded while running water from the roof drain pipes. (TBH, I was afraid to do this b/c I was afraid that water would spill or flood out. But nothing happened. The water from the hose just went down the drain pipe no problems.)

Another YT vid said that there maybe a crack in the bowl drain (trap) that connects to the floor or the wax rings are bad and in need of replacement.. I find it odd that BOTH of my toilets have a low water point and that both would be cracked or need new wax rings. I have not yet done this.

Also, I watched a vid on the flapper valve area, the washer and screw cap holding the fill valve assembly/flapper in place. There appears to be a good seal. I have replaced the flapper in both bowls previously. I don't know how long ago. Maybe they need to be replaced. But when I flush, I can press on the flapper valve with my hand and hold it in place. There's no indicator that it's NOT sealing, and the underside of the tank to bowl washer appears in tact, no leaking at all.

Same with the ballcock shank washer and bolts. They are not moving or leaking.

Also, if I pour a gallon of water into the bowl itself, it rises and then just starts flushing out. Even if I do that test slowly, the water level really never rises, but simply just exits. It never even comes more than an inch up.

Now, last piece of information. My wife has MS and poor leg strength. when she lowers her self on to the toilets she does "plunk" a little bit as her knees get to the 90 degree mark and plops the rest of the way on to the toilet. So I do wonder if somehow the wax rings need to be replaced and if that could be the source of the issue of a lack of a seal. Or if there truly is some kind of crack underneath. But that would involve taking off the toilet fully, replacing the wax rings and flange. That's within my skill potential. Not averse to doing that.

But before I rip apart the tank, I guess I wanted to ask what you folks think i should do.

TBH, I'm unemployed. I'd like to get a new set of toilet bowls with higher seating so that my wife (70 yrs) doesn't have to lower herself down as far. But extra tall toilets are $500+, and this guy doesn't have a lot of $$ right now.

Before I forget, I inspected from the basement. There's no indication of wetness or leak on the floor, whether viewed from the bathroom floors, or from between the joists. Not even damp. Perfectly dry.

Really need some advice on what to do next. I feel like I've done the obvious stuff. I get the basic idea of how the fill valve and the adjustment screw control how MUCH water gets back into the bowl after a flush. But what I do NOT get is what controls the trigger point height that seems to cause water to exit the bowl, nor do I understand why it's trickling out. Nothing I've done can prevent it from trickling out. It always goes back to that low water level about 3" up from the bottom of the drain. It barely is enough water to do your business into. The top of the water level measures about 4" x 6" at best. A pretty small area and when "business" is being done, that "business" often gets stuck to the sides of the interior of the bowl.

What would you folks recommend I do next?

There is no way to increase the level in a toilet bowl if the refill tube is filling the toilet to its maximum depth. And you determined that when you slowly filled the toilet bowl with water. When you slowly fill the bowl with water, the level increases until begins to overflow into the drain line. At that point, the geometry of the toilet will not allow the bowl level to increase. If these are "new style" toilets, the level could be the design level of that toilet. There are other things that can pull water out of the toilet like you found on YT, but by slowly pouring water into the toilet bowl and without any other fixtures draining, the resulting level is it for that toilet bowl.

A crack or porcelain flaw is also possible, but as you said, you have two toilets that are acting the same, so that is highly unlikely. As long as the water level is like 2 inches or more above the top of the toilet discharge opening, the toilet is properly providing the water trap that keeps sewer gases from entering your home. Water seeks its own level, so as you see from the diagram below, if you pour water into the bowl slowly, it simply flows down the drain and cannot increase the level in the bowl.

1664897456268.png

Hi friend!

Ok. TYVM for sharing that info and picture. HOnestly, I couldn't figure out what determined the max level of water in the bowl. I've been at houses where the level was so high that sometimes you got an unexpected bodypart wash. ;)

I swear that the bowl used to have a higher level of water in it years ago. But if I look at the side of the porcelain and use a level to "eye" over to where the water in the bowl is, they are matched.

I guess there's no problem then!

But like I said, maybe I'm just mis-remembering that the water level used to be higher than it is today. When we do our "business", there's often not enough water in the bowl sometimes and the "business" seems to clog the opening and I have to plunge. (That's a "man's job" you know. Something my modern wife won't do herself. Plunging is my fun lol!)

SO I'm going to give this one up. Toilet bowl 1. Bob zero. ;)

Hi friend!

Ok. TYVM for sharing that info and picture. HOnestly, I couldn't figure out what determined the max level of water in the bowl. I've been at houses where the level was so high that sometimes you got an unexpected bodypart wash. ;)

I swear that the bowl used to have a higher level of water in it years ago. But if I look at the side of the porcelain and use a level to "eye" over to where the water in the bowl is, they are matched.

I guess there's no problem then!

But like I said, maybe I'm just mis-remembering that the water level used to be higher than it is today. When we do our "business", there's often not enough water in the bowl sometimes and the "business" seems to clog the opening and I have to plunge. (That's a "man's job" you know. Something my modern wife won't do herself. Plunging is my fun lol!)

SO I'm going to give this one up. Toilet bowl 1. Bob zero. ;)
It's a manufacturing thing. There are some that have a bigger water spot.

I wonder if a clogged vent is allowing a suction to build that is drawing water from the bowl just after flushing?

I can try to snake the vent, CliffyK.

When the water tank flushes, the water swirls, then seems to settle while the fill tube is still running. Water trickles from the sides from the flow of the trickle tube. Yet the water LEVEL actually goes down about 1/2".

Do you think that is indicative of a clogged vent?

check inside the toilet tank that the reprime tube going from the fill vavle to the tank over flow tube.

I can try to snake the vent, CliffyK.

When the water tank flushes, the water swirls, then seems to settle while the fill tube is still running. Water trickles from the sides from the flow of the trickle tube. Yet the water LEVEL actually goes down about 1/2".

Do you think that is indicative of a clogged vent?
Don't know--however some force other than gravity is drawing water from the bowl.--assuming that the toilets are installed relatively level. Gravity would dictate the level as shown in the illustration posted by MicEd69--dictated by the toilet's design..

Some other force is drawing water from the bowls--or the valves are not trickling in enough after flushing (however that both toilets would fail similarly and simultaneously would be odd)...

A toilet will siphon itself when the drain pipe fills with water and closes off the toilets vent.

It will continue to siphon until the siphon is broken by sucking on air from the toilet bowl or from the toilets vent.

A toilet will siphon itself when the drain pipe fills with water and closes off the toilets vent.

It will continue to siphon until the siphon is broken by sucking on air from the toilet bowl or from the toilets vent.
That's what led me to question the vent's functioning...

bubbawny has slowly filled the toilet bowl with water while no other fixtures are draining. The bowl water level returns to the same level every time. Nothing is pulling water out if the toilet bowl, it is simply the design of the toilet. As he has two toilets acting the same, it is highly unlikely that there are two toilets with the same flaws, which could be the problem, or that any drain or vent piping issues could cause the same results in both toilets when both are returning to the same level when water is slowly poured into the bowls.

If the drain line is filling with water and closes off the vent then both toilets can siphon past its limits and will have low bowl water.

Once the pipe/ toilets drain down the siphon is broken. Then you could pour water slowly into each bowl and prime the traps. This would bring the water spot back up to normal level.

The toilets wouldn’t flush correctly if this is the case. They would both fill with water and slowly drain down and siphon their self.

I see this all the time with stopped up main branch lines and sewers.

Stopping the vent up wouldn’t cause the problem unless that’s the only vent and the house is on a septic tank.

Toilets connected to a city sewer or if the system has a vent anywhere in it….. it will equalize the pressure by using the air space above the flow, like a combination waste and vent system functions.

Last edited:
Sounds like you need new toilets. Some toilets have low water spots. That’s the water level in the bowl, the water spot.

Some toilets require high rate of refill ballcocks. Some Toto toilets do and they will not flush good without that special ballcock. The water level must be set correctly in the tank. Too little water and it won’t flush correctly.

Latest posts

Back