Loud Washing Machine?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conway

Reaction score
The problem is a little different than that but here we go. My brother lives in the bottom story of a two story apartment. Whenever his upstairs neighbor uses there water based appliances it sounds like a loud heart beat in the walls. Thump thump thump. I stuck around and listened to it and it sounds like it's only doing it when it's draining. I told him to tell the apt folks and it turns out he did and they told him they couldn't do anything about it. What could it be and could I do anything about it? He just signed his lease so he's going to have to live with it for a year if it doesn't get figured out.

A variety of things could cause this, and most would require opening up walls to repair. Only thing it may be, and is fixable, is a clogged vent pipe. Drain lines need air to operate properly. The air is received from the vent pipe. If the pipe is clogged, the draining water pulls a vacuum in the line and causes the sound you hear. Could also be a pipe that is not secured in the wall and is moving when water is flowing.

Last edited:
I would recommend having the landlord purchase the small air hammer valve on the upstairs tenant's washing machine, in order to rule out the noise being emitted due to this. They are about $20 at any local big box hardware store, and can be installed in about 3 minutes.

I'm just going to buy one. The apatrment complex is huge so I'm sure they have one but they are very uncoperative considering they are the ones asking for rent money. Thanks for the suggestions guys it gives him a little something to argue with next time he's in there complaining about it. It's loud.

Latest posts

Back